Any advice about:Sonic Maximizers,Aural exciters.do i need them,

Chammy

I was wondering if I need any of the above mentioned componants?My recordings don't come out as full and big bodied as i'd like them too.Do i need any of those? I have been recording into a Roland VS840ex and then into my computer using a stereo 8th inch plug in and into the sound card Creative Labs Sound Blaster and then track by track into Acid Pro 3 and then edited?Can anyone give me a few pointers,as so many others out there in need of help? here's an example of a song done with the above but with out any of the Sonic or Aural componants.Go to: mp3.com/Maligna

I know this has been asked before but..

why?I hate to ask cause I am sure it has been answered hundreds of times,but really...why?I have never really gotten a full answer from anyone.

I'm sure if this stays around long enough, everyone will say the same thing.

That is...if you record everything properly in the first place, you wouldn't need the exciter. If you're not getting the sound you want from your recordings, look into improving mic placement, maybe some gear, but especially in the mixing stage with eq and things like that.

If if makes them sound better, then do it, but it would probably be beneficial to get to the root of the problem which is your recording techniques, so you don't have to use it in the future. It really is just a "special eq".

Hope this helps,
Brandon

I wouldnt dismiss any tools offhand, but i wouldnt run a full mix thru any of these things either

Compression distortion and EQ working together is what these FX do, and it is usually better to have control over all three than just having one or two knobs on an exciter

Sometimes snare drum tails can really benefit from this type of effect, but again it is usually better to run a compressor then distortion then EQ to pull it off

Well waht I did was record the drums with a DR-770,then the guitarist recorded straight into from his amp instead of using a mic or speaker sim.I was going to later use a speaker sim cause we only have one sh**y mic,and it was only used to record the vocals.The guitars were so badly played and mixed sounded just sh**y that I had to run them through a speaker sim later and still that didnt do too awfull well.The bass was recorded straight in also.We plan to go a different route and thats why I have been asking for advice.I plan to at least get some deicent mics.

Chammy said:
Well waht I did was record the drums with a DR-770,then the guitarist recorded straight into from his amp instead of using a mic or speaker sim.I was going to later use a speaker sim cause we only have one sh**y mic,and it was only used to record the vocals.The guitars were so badly played and mixed sounded just sh**y that I had to run them through a speaker sim later and still that didnt do too awfull well.The bass was recorded straight in also.We plan to go a different route and thats why I have been asking for advice.I plan to at least get some deicent mics.

Chammy,
If your investing in new stuff - also look into a new way to move those tracks recorded on your roland into your computer. Using the 1/8 stereo cord into the soundblaster card will degrade the sound quality of your tracks, making it harder to get the final sound that your after.

T

Good mics, good soundcard, good recording first.......take care of the fundimentals, then think about toys.
To use an overused odiferous metaphore, you are making turds, and looking to buy some turd polish. :)

Best regards, RD

Sonic Masturbaters and Anal Excreters may have some use in a live situation where you're forced to use a really crappy P.A., but they have no place in a studio - even a low-end home studio. Learn and practice good recording technique and avoid "magic fixit boxes" like you would Ebola.

Scott

They're not all bad. I once had a BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer in my guitar rig. I was running a Rocktron Pirahna through a Mesa 50/50 into a Mesa Recto 4x12 cab at the time. The trick I used on the BBE was turning the BBE effect on, but setting the knobs to zero. It gave just a subtle change in frequencies and helped make the Pirahna sound fat as hell. It tightened up the high end and high mids. If you use these things in small doses, they can be pretty useful.

~Vince
Guitarist / Songwriter
http://www.castofshadows.com

why are you coming out of the VS840 at all? doesn't it have editing features?

once you get the tracks recorded into the VS840 in digital, keep them in digital. I'm sure your VS840 has SPDIF connectors in the back.

as far as the exciters and stuff, i use the Waves L1 maximizer to bring up the average level of my stereo mixes. but i do my best to be careful in how i apply it.

i don't use exciters. i feel like i can get things sounding right without it by getting the mix right.

in my CD changer i had the Smiths followed by the latest Foo Fighters and the difference in average level was immediately noticeable.

Back