any advantage in erasing tapes externaly?

I have an Audiotex tape eraser that has been collecting dust on my shelf since the eighties. It's just a heavy black box that seems to magnetize at the press of a button. Now, do I have to roll every inch of tape under the thing? Or can I just turn it on and wave it over top a reel of tape?

No!

What I believe by your description to be a large, heavy box, (like the one pictured above),... let's assume it's a table-top unit, in which case you'd energize it and lay the reel on top of it, turning the reel in a circular motion for at least (let's say) 5 turns and 30 seconds total demag cycle for one side. Then flip the reel over and do the same thing on the other side. It should degauss a 1/4" wide tape all from one side, but you want to be thorough. Wider than 1/4" tape absolutely requires the flip and degaussing both sides.

Try that and adjust timing as necessary. The instruction pamplet for the degausser might explain a similar procedure, if u can find it.

There may be a duty cycle timer or heat decoupler in the unit which will shut it down to avoid overheating, in which case you let it cool for about 10 minutes and start again.

Keep metal object you don't want magnetized or demagnetized away from this box! Most of these units are very powerful magnets, despite their unassuming appearance.

That's what I know about large degaussers. They will degauss tape very efficiently.:eek:;)

Just got hold of this eraser looks like it's a CCTV security VHS eraser?

No manual included so it's trial & error to work out how best to use it?

1/4" & 1/2" tapes should be OK?

It looks heavy duty enough.

First thing to know is not to turn the unit on or off with the tape on it. It’s best to bring the tape from a distance after the unit is on, whether you use a tabletop or handheld demagnetizer.

For reel-to-reel tapes you would need to find a way to spin the reel on the surface of the demagnetizer. Some units have a pin that’s made to be a guide for the center hole in the reel. The one you have is made to slide videotapes across, but you can make it work.

The easiest way for 7” or 10” reels is to keep the tape in the box (minus the plastic bag of course). You can position the bottom edge of the open box against the raised edge that’s used to keep videotapes in the right place. Next use a finger to slowly spin the tape 5 to 7 times… and then turn the tape reel over and spin it another 5 to 7 times.

Finally, slowly move the tape about two feet away before turning the demagnetizer off.

:)

EDIT: And what Dave said... looks like we were posting at the same time. :)

For reel-to-reel tapes you would need to find a way to spin the reel on the surface of the demagnetizer. Some units have a pin that’s made to be a guide for the center hole in the reel. The one you have is made to slide videotapes across, but you can make it work.

Ah, so that's what the pin is for :) Thanks.

Finally, slowly move the tape about two feet away before turning the demagnetizer off.
It is important to move the tape away slowly before turning the demag off. I used to pull the tape away to about arm's length just to be safe.

Cheers guys, it certainly wiped a 1/2" tape quick enough in 30 seconds even though I switched it on nearby so at the start of the tape there was some slight swishing noises on playback!

I'll try the box idea that sounds the best way & move the tape in slowly next time!

Back