Antares Mic Modeler et al.

windowman

Say guys, do any of you know anything about the Antares Mic Modeler? Like how much does it cost? I'm talking about the software version...not the rack mount.

Also, are there any other products like it on the market available as directX plug-ins? (preferably cheaper) This is the only software based mic modeler I have any knowledge of at all and while I don't know the price, I've heard it's probably a few hundred.

I've got some older acoustic guitar material I really like that was recorded live direct out of the guitar preamps. Now it was a good system--Sunrise magnetic pick-up in the soundhole and a LR Baggs under the saddle through a Boss AD-5 acoustic preamp, but while it's not terrible, it does still have some of that direct to the board sound if you know what I mean. I imagine something like the Antares might help beef up the sound a bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Windowman:
Antares VST is designed for Macs. I don't think it works with windows. It was pretty much set up as a plug in for MOTU's stuff. I could be wrong though...it may have a microsoft counterpart by now. It lists for about $400, so some shopping around should score it for $325-350. I don't believe anyone else has such a deal that allows you to duplicate specific mics as exclusively as Antares. Cakewalk has a couple FX bundles that offer a few decent modelers.
Hope this helps.
Note: http://www.harmonycentral.com may have more intence reviews than what Even offers.

Antares micmodeler and the autotune is available as a dx plugin.....and I just happen to have both and of course some opinions. Oh...btw, they are about $200 each for the PC format. The Autotune is a gem, and quite frankly, one of the best pieces of software that I have, potentially as valuable as the Waves Gold Bundle. oh....the micmodeler....don't waste your money if you are expecting something for *repairs* or even making your NT1 sound like a U87. ~Possibly~ astonishly close in approximation, but I find good mic placement, quality recording techniques, and the careful use of EQ to be just as good....actually a lot more useful and helpful, in the long AND short run. The tube saturation control, I thought, just added distortion versa any "warmth" and the different mic models are extremely subtle in MOST cases (in conflict with the opinions of others, I am sure, and have read). Some have said it is just another *color* to add to their recording *pallate* and just the right thing to get a *certain* vocal to sit *just right* in the mix...but after having it for a respectable amount of time, and after using it quite a bit, I never felt I really improved on anything by using the micmodeler...and usually kept my original source sound.

ah.....the autotune....saved my butt many a times once the singer has left the building....not to mention some of the creative things you can do with it.

Even,

“Cakewalk has a couple FX bundles that offer a few decent modelers.”

Really? I just started using CakeWalk but I don’t know much about the different plug-ins they offer. Do you know what they’re called offhand?

mixmkr,

“I find good mic placement, quality recording techniques, and the careful use of EQ to be just as good....actually a lot more useful and helpful, in the long AND short run.”

Well, obviously but that doesn’t exactly help in my situation. Those small changes you talked about might only seem small to you because you had a good source to work with at the outset. Mine is far from terrible but I think that even a small change, if it’s the right change, may be just what I need. $200 bucks is a bit steep for it though. I don’t need a couple of dozen different kinds of mics to be modeled here. It’s a shame they can’t just give you 3 or 4 really important ones for a cheap price…say a hundred or less. That I could live with. I was hoping someone else would have something like that. I’ve been all through the list at “Direct X Files” and a couple of other places but haven’t spotted anything like the Antares yet. Maybe they’re calling it something other than a mic modeler though…

windowman....I wasn't trying to give you a sarcastic remark...and sorry if it came off that way. My point was really in trying to say that I think the the micmodeler offers extremely subtle changes and that just recording with a little more attention gives you many more useful options. But, I guess I negleted to realize that in your case, your stuff is already recorded. I would think that possibly some noise reduction software (if needed) and a "room" sounding reverb (but not so obvious), might help to improve your prerecorded material...certainly more than what you might need from the micmodeler. ....or even just a little experimenting with the EQ. good luck! btw...email if you might be interested in some dx plugins, such as the modeler and other stuff. I might be able to steer you to some items that would meet your budget of $100 or less.

Try Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Modeler. It does exactly what you want. That is, it will impart the sonic "fingerprint" of a certain mic, room, or piece of gear to any .wav file. It works really well, too, and you can download some nice mic models off of Beamsonic's page for free (not that the ones that come with the program aren't good, but variety is nice).

Good luck,
Ryan

Antares has a free trial on thier website of the mic modeler that you can download(or at least they did last year). Personally, i didn't think it was worth $20, much less $200.

Thanks guys,

That Sonic Foundry Acoustic Modeler looks promising. I've seen it advertised before but didn't know it would do mic modeling. The price is certainly right so I guess I'll give it a whirl. If anybody comes across a similar unit why not post it for all of us? See ya.

Back