another thread about stereo...

ino

ok, When you hear many rock bands with 2 guitarplayers, you notice "stereo" in rithym guitars, and I guess in most cases they record the guitar twice, and sometimes the guits at the same time(or all instruments together).

Now what about bands with 1 guitarplayer? I guess he records it twice. Now what if the riffs are too complicated to sound the two guitars as one with more "space" or "environment" or any other cliché you might want to use to say it. I guess they dont have time to spend hours just to get it right in every track, but you notice difference betwen the 2 channels.

HOW DO THEY DO IT ??? use some effect on one track, record with 2 mics, whats the trick? take for instance Fear Factory(if you know what I'm talking about)...

I don't know about Fear Factory but a few methods can be used to provide a stereo width. Obviously you could do two mics in a stereo pattern or even two mics in a near/far arrangement. Panning the seperate mic tracks left and right will create depth.

An easy trick though (that's been mentioned here a gazillion times) is to take a copy of the guitar track and delay it by dragging it (assuming you are recording digitally) into the song so it is off from the original by a few milliseconds. Then you pan those identical tracks hard left and right to create a deep stereo chorus. It will have many different results depending on the guitar sound and how much the copied track is delayed.

Try it, it's fun!

If you're talking about national acts with major label CD releases, you can bet your ass they took the time to get it right in the studio - though they might have brought in a "ringer" to play some parts after the 30th take the guitarist blew.
:D

Scott

Back