Another Stupid MIDI question

HogansHiro

Now with 25% more sarcasm
OKEY DOKE....finally gonna hook my synths up to Sonar to save some audio tracks but I am confused with MIDI thru. I have an Yamaha SO3 that has IN/OUT/THRU. My other keybaord is a Kurzweil SP88X with IN/OUT. I would like to use the SO3 as my mainbaord and have the MIDI use the Piano Sounds in my SP88X since thats the reason why I bought it. So... with my M-Audio USB MIDI interface 1 in/out. I have computer going to so3 both midi in/out. Midi thru is then ran into MIDI in on my SP88X. I can now get midi files to route the piano sound to my sp88X on channel 1 but the piano still sounds on the yamaha as well....WHY!!!

Also, the reason I got a big ass 88 keys is so Ican play it...how do I use the midi out to record from it if I don't have enough ports.

What I want to do is. use sounds from s03 except for piano which will come from sp88X. And record MIDI straight from my sp88X. Basically just using my yamaha as sound module for other than piano.

Any ideas?

First of all, here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two. They may be a little too basic for you, but we can all use a refresher course now and then...

The following is based on the sentence in your post 'I would like to use the S03 as the mainboard'.

Set it up this way --- First, find the page to turn the local off in the S03. This will break the connection between the keyboard and the sound source inside. Next, patch the midi out of the S03 to the midi in of the MAudio interface, then the midi out of the interface to the midi in of the S03. Then patch the S03's midi thru to the midi in of the SP88X. Make sure none of the channels overlap -- you complain about hearing both the Yamaha piano and the Kurzweil at the same time, and that's almost certainly because the midi channels overlap.

In order to sequence full arrangements complete with FX routing, look in your Yamaha manual under 'Multi'.

Back