Another stab at a spare acoustic track

Nice. Well played. Great tune man! The guitar sounds a bit distant to me. Not a reverb thing, where did place the mic? I like the vocals. Although a little cut in low mid would make it pop a hair more. Would like to hear the guitar blend better with the vocals. Kinda sounds like you are in two different rooms.

Nice. Well played. Great tune man! The guitar sounds a bit distant to me. Not a reverb thing, where did place the mic? I like the vocals. Although a little cut in low mid would make it pop a hair more. Would like to hear the guitar blend better with the vocals. Kinda sounds like you are in two different rooms.

Yeah, that's the trick, isn't it? They were recorded in two different rooms. I used the Zoom H4n built in stereo mic for the acoustic guitar...not the greatest mic in the world but I had a good performance so I wanted to keep it. However, that mic was no good for vocals so I used my Shinybox ribbon. I sent more of the vocals to the reverb bus (UAD plate 140) than I did the guitar...perhaps that's why they don't blend as well.

I suppose I could have added a little ambience patch to both to try to glue them. Any other suggestions on how to go about it?

I would re record the acoustic using a different mic. Not sure what u have. A 57 would be fine here. It would sound closer to your vox. I don't think there is a mix fix here.

I'd like to hear the vocals a bit more front and center - lower (duck) the guitar a bit while singing. Maybe a bit less reverb on the vocal track itself. You can always add some back on the overall mix if it seems to need it, but it was "noticeable" to me. I would probably give the vocals another shot with a bit more presence, even move in to the mic, if you can't pull them forward with what you have. Fix a couple of pitch things if you can.

I actually thought the guitar quality was interesting. Might be Ok with a little more vocal. It's a bit repetitive, and on exposed parts a little variety wouldn't hurt.

I liked this song!

I'd like to hear the vocals a bit more front and center - lower (duck) the guitar a bit while singing. Maybe a bit less reverb on the vocal track itself. You can always add some back on the overall mix if it seems to need it, but it was "noticeable" to me. I would probably give the vocals another shot with a bit more presence, even move in to the mic, if you can't pull them forward with what you have. Fix a couple of pitch things if you can.

I actually thought the guitar quality was interesting. Might be Ok with a little more vocal. It's a bit repetitive, and on exposed parts a little variety wouldn't hurt.

I liked this song!

Good suggestions.

Nice tune. Nice playing and singing.

Every once in a while, the guitar covers the vocal. I wonder if you compress the guitar just a little harder it might help? Otherwise, the vocal is nice and clean.

I'm hearing a bit of hiss on the guitar track.

The guitar has a lot more reverb than the vocal. They're a bit out of whack.

The guitar has a "hollowness" to it. But I think it works pretty well here, given the style. Kind of a 60's folk-ish song.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have incorporated them as possible to v2 of the mix, which is now up (same link). In particular I tried to fix the pitchy singing in the first verse.

You guys are great!

It sounded great on my laptop.

I add ambience by recording the room, with a mic further from the guitar.

Yea, a little noise, but this is amateur recording, right?

I find I have to shut off a distant fan that the mics pick up, and record at midnight, to get the quietest house.

It sounded great on my laptop.

I add ambience by recording the room, with a mic further from the guitar.

Yea, a little noise, but this is amateur recording, right?

I find I have to shut off a distant fan that the mics pick up, and record at midnight, to get the quietest house.

Yeah definitely an amateur recording!

However, my philosophy going into this track was to put it down quickly and not lose inspiration. Like a lot of people, I have the software and mics to do everything I need to, but I lack the time to get the most out of my gear. Projects never get finished, etc. This one was done over a week - composition to mixing, in between my other responsibilities!

This time I decided to get the track down, and edit and mix quickly. Obviously some background noise on the guitar recording, but I was ok with that.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Back