Another small acoustic mix

keith.rogers

Me and a buddy doing a friend's original song here. 2 guitars, 1 mic (SDC) each, 1 mic (dynamic) on vox. Plenty of bleed to go around. Steinberg UR44C interface, mixed in Logic Pro. Video rendered in Final Cut Pro.

p.s. It's not really about a fish...

That was good, Keith! Nostalgic. This has room for a catchier hook chorus making it sound more like radio material from the late 60's, early 70's (Wooden Ships - CSN ??). Still, a nice piece.

Last edited:
Nice tune. IMHO, the lyrics are very nice, but they aren't fully done justice by the melody, which kind of seemed like an afterthought almost. This was most evident in the second half of the phrases, which just hung out on the same note the whole time ("I did not know how to respond," etc.).

One other thing was that it seemed a little unsure as to what the rhythmic feel for the song was. In other words, sometimes the acoustic rhythm was kind of a palm muted thing, whereas other times it was fully strummed, but there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when each was used. It felt kind of as if the song's rhythmic identity hadn't really been settled.

Anyway, those are just my pair of pennies. I enjoyed the listen. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the comments guys.

@famous beagle , I will have to listen to the original and see what he did, melodically - I am no vocalist, that's certain :). And, I confess there's little thought that goes into my guitar playing, as in, I never even considered trying to apply rhyme and reason! But, it makes a lot of sense from the listener's view. (I will work on this again sometime in June - the rest of this month looks to be squandered with some mandolin picking.)

Thanks for the comments guys.

@famous beagle , I will have to listen to the original and see what he did, melodically - I am no vocalist, that's certain :). And, I confess there's little thought that goes into my guitar playing, as in, I never even considered trying to apply rhyme and reason! But, it makes a lot of sense from the listener's view. (I will work on this again sometime in June - the rest of this month looks to be squandered with some mandolin picking.)
Oh ... I didn't know this was a cover; I thought it was an original. If that's the case, disregard my comments about the melody. Sorry about that!

Back