another reverb?

Chris Meck

I'm pretty damned broke; but I think I'm in need of another decent but low-cost reverb/delay unit.

I've got a Lexicon MPX 110... and I like it, but it's the only 'verb I have.

I think I'd like to have at least one more so that I could maybe like...delay a verb on a vocal or something.

I see the older Lexicon 100's on ebay a lot; and I've read good things about the TC electronics 300. Any thoughts?

Chris

The TC M300 is a great deal. Very clean and usable. You also get dual processing so it's like having two effects boxes. It doesn't have a lot of features but if you just need some decent room verbs and simple delays it will do the job.

Doesn't the Lex have dual channels as well meaning you could delay a reverb?

Having said that it's nice to have a few different flavours anyway.

Yeah, Kevin, it does-but while it's dual engine, it's not like...dual mono. I mean you could delay a verb, but since it's the only one I've got that would mean I'd basically have to put it on everything.

I like a delayed verb on a vocal, but not on drums for instance.

I was thinking about both the TC unit and/or picking up the predeccessor to the 110 that I've got. Anybody got the Lexicon MPX 100? If they're decent and can be had for a bill that'd be hard to beat. Of course, they're 20 bit, is that right?

Chris

Te TC 300 is a very good unit - I'm very satisfied with mine.

I've got a Lexicon 100 and have been less than please.d Lexicon may be a well respected name, but I think the 100 is a dog - not even close in sound to the TC 300.

Chris Meck said:
Yeah, Kevin, it does-but while it's dual engine, it's not like...dual mono. I mean you could delay a verb, but since it's the only one I've got that would mean I'd basically have to put it on everything.

I like a delayed verb on a vocal, but not on drums for instance.

I was thinking about both the TC unit and/or picking up the predeccessor to the 110 that I've got. Anybody got the Lexicon MPX 100? If they're decent and can be had for a bill that'd be hard to beat. Of course, they're 20 bit, is that right?

Chris

I see your point.

I've got a 100 and I like it considering the money. I'd agree with the other folks though and I refer to my earlier post- I think the sound of the 100 would be very similar to the 110 and as such I'd go for something different.

Seems a few people like the TC 300!

Yeah, people really do. Even folks who turn their nose up at the Lexi 110. Perhaps there's something there.

At any rate, it would seem that the two would give me some flexibility and different sound.

Chris

You should also check out the Lexicon LXP 15 or the LXP 1. These typically go from sub $100 to $150 on eBay. IMO, some of Lexicon's best work in the budget sector, especially the LXP 15. No digital ins/outs, but great units.

I'm a newbie here and I would like to know why you might need more than one reverb?

My reason is :- I bought an LXP 1 liked it then I bought an LXP15 MKII because people said it would be better. It was so good I was tempted by the next one up so I bought an MPX1.

I'm sticking with the MPX1 !!! It's fantastic to my ears!

I now have three lexicons...do I sell the lxp1 and the lxp15 or do I keep one?

regards

sixtiesman
(lancashire uk)

sixtiesman said:
...I now have three lexicons...do I sell the lxp1 and the lxp15 or do I keep one?

sixtiesman,

I'm not sure what to say. What type of music do you generally do? It is always nice to have variety. This also goes for mics, mic pres and other gear. But if you've got programs in either the LXP1 or 15 that you don't get in the 100 then you should keep them. If not, then sell and get something else.

Well, in my case, some of the material is of a 'vintage' flavor roots rock and alt/country.

On the older type of recordings I'm sometimes hinting at, there's a TON of reverb on basically everything. But what I maybe want is just a big 'verb on...say...the main vocal tracks. But the problem is that with loud-assed guitars and drums, that can get real messy. One way to counter that would be to hit a delay first, THEN a reverb, so that the vocal intelligibility isn't compromised, but you can still get that long reverb tail on the vocal. In that way, I can get a more 'modern' tight and punchy sound on the instruments, but still get that old school flavor on the vocal if I want.

So I could use a light to moderate verb on the instrument mix, and then delay a big verb on the vocal. See?

I'd keep all them reverbs. They give you options.

Chris

Why don't you just use a longer "pre delay" on the verb. This parameter is common on many reverbs. Pre delay is usually what permits the intelligibility of the vocal to come through by allowing the clean signal to come through. You should be able to do this with the 100. If that's what you want to do, perhaps it's wise to go ahead and sell the lxp 1 and 15 and get something like the TC Elec. unit.

By the way, the secret to using pre delay is to time it with to the tempo.

Rev E said:

By the way, the secret to using pre delay is to time it with to the tempo.

Hence the reason my vote for a budget efx unit goes to the M300 for its tap-tempo control and it's several delay patches.

Back