Another question about inexpensive monitors

lumstar

I posted this over in the Mixing/Mastering section, but it didn't generate any comments. Maybe it will do better here. :)

So I have been looking at the M1A 520's and the Av 40's. Sound on sound has a promising review of the 520's. Anyone here have either of these and care to comment?

I live in Canada and can get the AV 40's for $190 and the 520's for $240. As a third option I could get the KRK RP5 G2's for $320. Do you think the 520's are worth the extra $50 and do you think the KRK's are worth the extra $80?

Please give me your opinions as they are valued greatly!

Lum,

I can't help you with those particular monitors, but I can mention that monitors with a 5" cone may eventually require a subwoofer--if you're recording music with important low end. I'm one of many who bought a 5" model, initially thought the bass response was adequate, soon became tired of compensating for the weak low end, and finally added a matching sub. Problem solved. Just food for thought.

And it's definitely best to try them--better yet, compare them to others--in your own studio space, especially if you can't do much to change that space acoustically. I remember auditioning one highly reviewed monitor that made me hurl.

Good luck.

Thanks Jeff. Ya hopefully I will be able to audition them at my place, better talk to the salesman and find out about their return policy. :)

Back