Another Pre-Amp thread

SilusX

Hello Folks
I am in the market for a pre-amp. A few thoughts(Questions)
Application:Record Acoustic Folk Rock ,Guitar and vocals.
Micraphones: 2/AKG C1000S 1 AKG C3000B 1 AKG D330BT 1 Audix OM-2. Mixer: Mackie 1402 VLZ.
Guitar: MartinD2r with Fishman Gold Plus undersaddle pickup.
Outboard Gear: Boss GT3 for Guitar, Lexicon MXP1, Digitech S100.
Recording Devices: Teac DA-P20 Portable Dat for or live remote recording .Computer AMD 1.2 chip/ 320 megs of ram/ 60 gig hard drive/Yamaha 24X CD-RW :M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 sound card:
Software: Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro : Sounforge 4.5 : DSP fx plug in pack .

I really enjoy reading your posts . All of you seem well informed and I find it very helpful.
My question is: Where do you draw the line between the amount of money you spend compared to the quality of the Pre-Amp for the intended application?I am looking for 2 things. Warm up the front end of digital recorder, and to "enhance" the sound of my guitar and vocal tracks.I would appreciate any of your thoughts and ideas.
Oh Yeah! I would really like to see a list of the equipment you use!...........Thanks Dave

how much money can you spend and how many channels of preamp do you need....

i can tell you now, when you said enhance, i thought JoeMeek.......

I got to hand it to dbx here, the 386 is a killer - might be a bit pricey but rightfully so. Tube front - digital out. With the digi out you could bypass everything and go direct to the soundcard which in your case looks to be an audiophile, not sure if that has digital i/o.

yeah the Audiophile has S/Pdif but bypasses its converters isnt a biggie cause they are decent converters........

Back