Another Poll...What Desk Do You Use...

WHAT DESK DO YOU USE?...

• Total voters

memriloc

Hey all...Yeah I know, I know, another bloody poll...But was just wondering...For anyone using a mixing console as their front end what they're using and what they had on the way up to what they have now (that make sense?)...Cheers, DOM!

S'pose I'd better start...

For the last few years I've been using a SOUNDTRACS SOLITAIR 32ch jobbie...Some people don't like it, but I realy do dig the sound and the options...

Prior to that I was using a TASCAM M-2524

Prior to that was my first "real" desk which was a FOSTEX 8-12 (suprisingly fat) which I still use in my PA rig...

My VERY VERY sirst mixer when I was 'bout 7 was a REALISTIC (RADIO SHACK) "disco mixer"...Still have that somewhere...

Behringer covers sufficiently what I need to podcast and to do my singer/songwriter type stuff.

Mike

For anyone using a mixing console as their front end what they're using and what they had on the way up to what they have now
This may not help your poll much, but based upon that description, it's easier for me to say here which ones I *haven't* used :p. The only ones I don't have any real time on based on that list are the Behringer, MCI, Midas, Soundtracks and SSL.

Right now I don't use an analog desk of my own - any tracking I'm involved in other than location recording (Mackie), will be done in a studio (the closest tracking room to me has an Amek Galileo with custom Rupert Neve mods). But for the price and size I'd like to try out a Toft Designs 24 in my own project studio for a while.

G.

Actually, looking it up, I'm not sure whether they are actually "mods" per se; I think maybe they are the standard pres on the Galileo. They are still Neve pres, but that is what I think they put in that board normally. Maybe someone more familiar with Amek/Soundcraft might clear that up.

Regardless, it's a very nice board with a decent live room. Good sounds to be had for all.

G.

K, I wouldn't call mine a desk. I've got the Tascam US-122L.
Maybe not a desk, but it'd make a good drink coaster! :D

Jsust joking around, I'm not dissing the 122L; I actually used the earlier 122 to record a baby grand once (ya play the hand that's dealt ya sometimes), and was rather pleasantly surprised with the results.

G.

I just love my MCI Jh-500, best console in the world!!!!, id say that if i had to choose from all consoles this would be number 1, followed by Neve num. 2, and API num. 3

Started out on an Allen & Heath GS1, nice little 8 buss recording to tape

Moved up to an Allen & heath SABER 24/16/2 with 3 M-Audio Delta 1010's feeding cubase and the 8 track reel to reel that I always recorded the drums onto before bouncing to digital. The Saber was a monster and took up most of the room I was using at the time

Got a bit of a passion for the Soundtracs JADE but it was way out my price range so I dumped the Saber and settled for a soundtracs Topaz Project 8. Lovely little mixer with a magical EQ

The Topaz died and on a whim I got an Allen & Heath GS3V 16/8/2 ...opened my eyes to just how noisy the A&H boards were after owning the Topaz.

Earlier this year I took the Digital leap and invested in a Yamaha N12. It integrates seamlessly with Cubase 4 via firewire and I can say honestly I'm producing my best sounding mixes to date. The routing is fantastic, great built in reverbs (really great) 8 channels of very useable morphing compressor. The EQ is very good considering it only has 1 sweepable mid. With proper mic placement I always get the sound I'm looking for right off the bat and at mixdown I'm using EQs on my UAD cards. Most importantly, the mic pre's are of a very high standard.

I've been using it for about 8 months now and produced 3 albums and a bucket load of demos on it. It's giving me the cleanest, richest most detailed mixes I've ever done. Don't believe the hype about analog, I was an analog junkie for years with racks full of equipment and huge electricity bills. I swore I'd never go digital till I seen one of these. It's a proper mixer with dedicated knobs and buttons for every function. It looks, feels, sounds and functions like an analog mixer :D

my first desk was a huge clunky yamaha?? ,with green cats eye switches..loved those!!

have been using a seck 18-8-2 for 15 ish years now..

LemonTree...I would love to get a JADE, but it's alittle too big for my space and outta my $$$ I'm very stoked with the SOLITAIRE...Powersupply died on me twice, but hey, these things are bound to happen...There use to be someone on this forum with a AOLITAIRE that had a custon powersupply made, I'd love to know who that is, I'd like to invest in one...

I used to use a Yamaha MG 16/4 along with a M-Audio Delta 1010LT which actually sounded pretty nice. Right now I'm using a Mackie Onyx 1620 w/ firewire.

Back