Another "PLEASE HELP"--Sonar

shackx2

I jumped into the Audio/Midi recording world a couple of years ago by buying CWPA 8 and a Roland UA-100 (www.edirol.com) as my audio and midi (2inX2out) interface. I've progressed through CW 9 and am now running Sonar and still using the UA-100.

Here is my system:
P III 450 mhz
320 RAM
10 Gig (music only) 7200 Hard-drive

Ever since I've been doing this I've have had continual problems with using midi sequencing and Audio on the same song.

I've never had syncing issues; it has always stayed together very well and I never notice any "floating" or anything like that. If I'm ever just recording AUDIO, the system seems to run pretty well. But whenever I try to add midi to a song that has audio, even if it's just running the midi metronome I get this kind of crap:

(Assume I have a track or two of audio already.) Whether recording midi or audio, the midi metronome count in will count in just fine. But as soon as it hits the first measure of "RECORD" the metronome will "bunch up" (slow down) first and thing speed up so that by the time the next measure hits, it's all locked together. Obviously, I can just not record in that measure, and if I'm recording audio, upon playback it doesn't seem to affect what I'm playing, it's just hard to play to. So, this is really just really annoying that I've never been able to get it to work the way that it's supposed to.

However, whenever I'm trying to record midi parts, it will be alright for a few measures but almost always makes the program stutter and jack up and sometimes even causes it to stop.

I've spent countless hours on the phone with Edirol who support the UA-100 and they've given me a number of things to try when working with Cakewalk since they sold it to me. But, whenever I call them, they seem like they've never heard these kinds of problems before. And I try all the things all the settings all the tweakings, and it never helps at all. I've never called Cakewalk because I don't like sitting on hold for 4 hours.

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this with Cakewalk or Sonar? Is this something that CW users just live with? OR would you assume it has something to do with my UA-100?

Any help or tricks support sources or anything anybody can give would be greatly appreciated.

-shack

Seems weird. Post to the Sonar newsgroup and see what they say, they're pretty damn good there. Coming from my end, I would just make the basic suggestions..... ramp up your CPU and maybe syncing to an outboard clock may stabilize things. 1ghx P3's are pretty cheap right now. UNder $100.

1. what is your sync set to? audio - midi - internal

2. is your PC or your Roland the timing master?

3. check your IRQ settings to see if you have any sharing conflicts. I've discovered that even if Win doesn't detect a sharing violation it's best for my peripherals to be seperate.

BTW, i have a fatar sl-880 connected to my frontier design wavcenter audio/midi card and it intermittently disables my computer keyboard when i record midi. i know it's not the piano keyboard because it did the same thing when i my clunky little yamaha midi controller.

I'm responding to both posts.

Where do I find the Sonar Newsgroup?

When I'm recording any audio, the sync sets itself to Audio. That's one of the first thing Edirol asks me when I call them, and it seems to be right.

I'm not sure about the 2nd question. It think that the PC is the timing master. The UA-100 is just in and out. Kind of like a soundcard on a USB.

I don't know how to check IRQs, but I think I've got through that with Edirol before, and I believe that it's all by itself.

Thanks for your responses.

-shack

THere is a link to the newsgroup from the Cakewalk/Sonar pages. Go to the support area and look around the link should be there.

FYI to anybody that's following this soap opera:

I got an email from Cakewalk Support that told me how to check my IRQs, according to that, they're ok.

Of course, Cakewalk says that it's the UA-100, and hasn't really helped me yet.

-shack

Back