another one from the updated F1 Trilogy: "Bullet Train to Monaco"

GONZO-X

completely new mix.
different drum kit and room treatments.
i may final tweak the kit a bit more.
i like the snare snap, but it may...be too much.

and i guess, a different approach to the mix.
it's quite a bit more in the face.
i think it works better this way than the demo i previously posted.

heh, yea, this should have always been mixed more forward and dry,

the first pass (demo) was more roomy, bigger, and a little bit diffuse.

well, the samples i found for the train, the people noise, the station noise, they were all 'found' samples, and even tho i know how to stereoize that sh!te, i have found that whenever i try those trick, they sound 'clownphucked' to me, so i just take em as they are.

i'm really trying to get to that vibe of standing or sitting in a train that is moving at high speed,

you get the feel of extreme force and finesses at the same time..

and to me, well, in my music mind, that sound would be more personal, and it'd be more close and tight.

so, the mix is trying to reflect that.

maybe a really good mixer would have a completely different approach,

and when i'm trying to wear all hats, out of neccessity,

sometimes it takes me longer to the obvious.

That's one difference between you listening to your own work, and someone else sitting down to listen. You have a somewhat preconceived notion of what you want to hear. When I pull up a song, I am hearing it fresh, and any imagery that it conjures up, and the sounds that I hear are just ... there. They are my own.

Sometimes I think that is a a disadvantage to a lot of "remastered" releases. When you have listened to a song for 30 years, you know all the bits and pieces, and it becomes familiar. Now a new release comes out, and you think "that guitar sounds weird". It's like Star Wars doing a GCI Jabba The Hutt vs the original puppet.

Luckily, I haven't been listening to this song for 30 years, so it's not yet ingrained in my memory banks.

Always enjoy hearing your stuff, very inspiring guitar playing ,song writing /arrangements and recording . I think your tone always sounds awesome! Fantastic man, great job!

Always enjoy hearing your stuff, very inspiring guitar playing ,song writing /arrangements and recording . I think your tone always sounds awesome! Fantastic man, great job!
hey thank you stratmonkee!
appreciate that,
i do work hard at the recordings... with the very little bit of time i'm accorded.
time is my enemy. it is very stingy.

my tones have evolved since i went to 100% direct recording.
i'm able to dial it in more than ever before,
but i do miss the sheer volume of cranking my boogie rig.

Bats Brew - the underground champs of the rock revival scene! Obviously very well mixed and performed. Love the lead tone, with that wah. How are you getting that tone? AxeFX? Real mic'd amp? What settings??? Are those real drums? How many are in your band? Who does your mixes and production?

Bats Brew - the underground champs of the rock revival scene! Obviously very well mixed and performed. Love the lead tone, with that wah. How are you getting that tone? AxeFX? Real mic'd amp? What settings??? Are those real drums? How many are in your band? Who does your mixes and production?
hey stevie!
thanks for the comments

the lead tone is straight from the Strymon Iridium, set for the Marshall head and a 4x12 marshall cab, pushed with my Barber Direct Drive Super Sport.
all direct.

the drums are real drums, but triggered from Superior Drummer. i write all my drum parts from scratch, sometimes use the LOOPS that come with the different kits. this is a customized kit using the Rooms of Hansa kits.

the band is just ME. i write, play, produce, master all my own recordings, cuz nobody else will do it for me for free!! heheh

hey stevie!
thanks for the comments

the lead tone is straight from the Strymon Iridium, set for the Marshall head and a 4x12 marshall cab, pushed with my Barber Direct Drive Super Sport.
all direct.

the drums are real drums, but triggered from Superior Drummer. i write all my drum parts from scratch, sometimes use the LOOPS that come with the different kits. this is a customized kit using the Rooms of Hansa kits.

the band is just ME. i write, play, produce, master all my own recordings, cuz nobody else will do it for me for free!! heheh

GONZO - How would you rate the Iridium->Barber vs say an Axe FX? Have you compared different types of simualted IR's? The AxeFX is supposed to be awesome but curious if you've compared your stompbox sims to pedalboard IR sims?

the iridium is great.
i have loved it since the day i got it.
their front end design, makes it feel like a real amp, minus the volume, of course...

i have played thru an axe FX, i liked the effects, but did not care for the amp emulations.
it's a touchy-feely thing, that i can't describe in words.

an IR is not a simulation.

it is a EQ, really.

i have a Palmer PDI-09, that takes a speaker out of a tube amp, applies a 'filter', which is a fixed eq, to make it sounds like a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12, and gives you a line level out, to record with. you setup your amp the same way as you would for any recording session.
i liked that too, with my mesa boogie MKIIb head.

but the strymon iridium is just so easy.

and i like the marshall, and i like the vox, and i like the fender deluxe, and those give me all the tones i'd ever want.

how expensive is axe fx? $2300?!

i already have my pedalboard built around my mesa, works perfectly well into the Iridium.

iridum cost: $399.

Back