Another One for Final Check

nice chimey guitar intro. it sounds a little boxy, maybe very close miced? but it's fine, nothing too major.

the vocals sit really well.

i like the strings or string or whatever it is doing the bass part.

only big pick is during the singing there is nothing going on in the left speaker to balance out the guitar on the right. i feel a little like my head is tilited. but, i wouldn't force another part into the right just for balance...unless there is something cool that works. what i'd do is bring the guitar a little more toward the center, then maybe automate it back to the right when the mando comes in.

cool tune! great voice! and good recording too!

nice chimey guitar intro. it sounds a little boxy, maybe very close miced? but it's fine, nothing too major.

the vocals sit really well.

i like the strings or string or whatever it is doing the bass part.

only big pick is during the singing there is nothing going on in the left speaker to balance out the guitar on the right. i feel a little like my head is tilited. but, i wouldn't force another part into the right just for balance...unless there is something cool that works. what i'd do is bring the guitar a little more toward the center, then maybe automate it back to the right when the mando comes in.

cool tune! great voice! and good recording too!
Thanks a bunch

GZ, really like the vocals; she sounds like the same girl from MCB. Very nice. I have to say I tend to agree with aaronmcoleman on the instrument placement. Albeit, there's not a lot going on, to me, it just "feels" a bit unbalanced at times. Nonetheless, I always enjoy listening to your stuff and this is no exception.

Last edited:
Cool. Sounds awesome. I agree with those guys except the mando comes in so much sooner on this one that it doesn't bother me at all. This tune isn't quite so catchy as the previous number, but still very nice. That woman could sing pretty much anything and I'd be right there ready to listen.

I'm curious if she sings really softly while tracking or if that is just the way her voice always sounds? Well done sir.

GZ, really like the vocals; she sounds like the same girl from MCB. Very nice. I have to say I tend to agree with aaronmcoleman on the instrument placement. Albeit, there's not a lot going on, to me, it just "feels" a bit unbalanced at times. Nonetheless, I always enjoy listening to your stuff and this is no exception.
Different gal than MCB. Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can't get the sound image more centered somehow.

Cool. Sounds awesome. I agree with those guys except the mando comes in so much sooner on this one that it doesn't bother me at all. This tune isn't quite so catchy as the previous number, but still very nice. That woman could sing pretty much anything and I'd be right there ready to listen.

I'm curious if she sings really softly while tracking or if that is just the way her voice always sounds? Well done sir.
Thanks heat. Her voice has a nice tone, but there's quite a bit of processing going on, and a ton of volume automation. Her volume goes up and down quite a bit. It takes a lot of time, but I much prefer volume automation to compression. Thanks for the feedback.

I thought it sounded pretty nice.

The only thing I'd add to what's been said, is that every once in a while the vocal has a burst of harshness. It will happen in a syllable every once in a while. It's like a half-second shot of 2500hz energy. Zings the eardrums. Maybe just find the right spot to notch out.

Sounded great to me. No technical issues from my standpoint, would love to hear some softly building crashes and a slow kick in the background near the end of the song - but that's just my personal taste! :listeningmusic:

Sounded great to me. No technical issues from my standpoint, would love to hear some softly building crashes and a slow kick in the background near the end of the song - but that's just my personal taste! :listeningmusic:
Ah man you're killing me. I think this needs percussion so bad, but she doesn't want it. We've had the discussion, and I lost.

I thought it sounded pretty nice.

The only thing I'd add to what's been said, is that every once in a while the vocal has a burst of harshness. It will happen in a syllable every once in a while. It's like a half-second shot of 2500hz energy. Zings the eardrums. Maybe just find the right spot to notch out.

If you could see the volume automation already on the vocals you would probably laugh. It's basically word for word. I should post a screen shot. Anyway, I'll give it a couple more runs through and focus just on vocal spikes.

Ah man you're killing me. I think this needs percussion so bad, but she doesn't want it. We've had the discussion, and I lost.

Haha, as part of my job I do graphic design and ultimately it comes down to what the client wants - even if it's butt ugly. But in this case I would say the final product is far from butt ugly even without the percussion. Keep up the good work!

Haven't read any of the comments. I've found that taints my judgement, so this is from a clean slate.

*great* job on those guitars, dude. Listened on my grados, which don't flatter anything that is inherently harsh, and those guitars and mandolins sounded gorgeous.

I have a problem with her voice, though. Against the guitars, her voice sounds harsh and too compressed. Too pop-ish, for my taste, especially when I can hear that underneath what the mic (and possibly all the processing) is doing to her voice, there is a beautiful soft vocal that would complement those guitars perfectly. I guess I just want lush and soft for these vocals, while it sounds like you're going for edgy and a bit of of the pop "in your face" sound...

Other than that, I loved the song, Mel. Great job!

I absolutely love it! Too bad you lost the discussion on percussion...it longs for something very subtle.

-Mike
Thanks. I'm happy with it the way it is, but I think it could be better.

Like this just as it is. I think the no percussion decision is the right one.
The vote seems split. Hers is the only one that counts though

Haha, as part of my job I do graphic design and ultimately it comes down to what the client wants - even if it's butt ugly. But in this case I would say the final product is far from butt ugly even without the percussion. Keep up the good work!
Thanks again for the input

Haven't read any of the comments. I've found that taints my judgement, so this is from a clean slate.

*great* job on those guitars, dude. Listened on my grados, which don't flatter anything that is inherently harsh, and those guitars and mandolins sounded gorgeous.

I have a problem with her voice, though. Against the guitars, her voice sounds harsh and too compressed. Too pop-ish, for my taste, especially when I can hear that underneath what the mic (and possibly all the processing) is doing to her voice, there is a beautiful soft vocal that would complement those guitars perfectly. I guess I just want lush and soft for these vocals, while it sounds like you're going for edgy and a bit of of the pop "in your face" sound...

Other than that, I loved the song, Mel. Great job!
Thanks poetic. I listened again, and I think I know what you mean. I'll try to soften them some. That's two comments now about the vocals, and I think most of it is that they are just a bit loud. Not sure what you mean about over compressed. There is no compression, just volume automation. I'll try to back off some on the saturation and volume and see how it sounds.

sounds great here - something is a little boxy but not in a way that dampens listening in any way
Thanks for the comments. Appreciate your taking the time.

Back