Another newbie acoustic recording (warning: sappy 70s love song)

Very nice voice. I'm enjoying this. Bread was a great, if sappy, band with an amazing body of work. Yeah, the guitars could be better. Cool, overall, though.

I don't even have a bass guitar. I just used the three strings on my Taylor to do the bass parts which is why it sounds the way it does.
You mean you used the normal low E, A and D strings of the 6 string guitar? When you hit that low E each time in the bass part it really has the effect of a bass gtr with the low lows cut some. Listening to it, though, I can imagine getting that with just the right balance of mic proximity effect and finger strokes off the skin of the finger or thumb. And when it goes up high, yeah… that kind of gives it away, heh-heh. Had me fooled. Very creative guitar work.

Tim

Dude, that is a nice tune. I haven't heard it in years, and couldn't think of how it went, and immediatley picked up on it. Nice voice. Wow, very nice. I don't find a lot of fault in it, and the vocals are definitely not a place to mess with. You sung well, and captured that. It's mixed in the song very well. I won't comment on the guitars, as it's cleaner and better than I can do.
Nice tune.
Ed

Timothy Lawler said:
You mean you used the normal low E, A and D strings of the 6 string guitar? .....Listening to it, though, I can imagine getting that with just the right balance of mic proximity effect and finger strokes off the skin of the finger or thumb.

Tim

Tim, you got it. I just used finger flesh and moved the mic closer. I'm too cheap to buy a bass guitar especially because I don't even know how to play one. :)

Maybe I'll look into getting one as Llarion recommended.

Ed and Scrubs.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

I still can't determine what's causing that noise that DonF pointed out and it's driving me nuts. I'll hopefully get rid it when I re-track the guitars.

Is the noise on one track, or all tracks? Or does it just happen at mixdown?

BTW there are many people around here who would be glad to put down a bass track for you if you're into collaborating.

Don

A collaboration would be great! You can download that track from nowhereradio and feel free to do anything you want with it.

The noise seems to appear during mixdown but I could have sworn the other night that I still heard it even when all the track levels were down to zero. I wonder if my DAW is getting messed up. Didn't get to do anything last night - single fatherhood is a full time job especially to a very active 8 year old.

Your vocal is sounding excellent...

What's the secret?... your vocal tone? The RNC? The RNP? The NTK? Your room?

I know you are probably going to say all of the above but was there one piece of gear that made a huge difference once you aquired it?

I'd agree with previous comments that the instrumentation could be tighter... but it's still a nice song to listen to...

Handsome Al said:
Your vocal is sounding excellent...

What's the secret?... your vocal tone? The RNC? The RNP? The NTK? Your room?

I know you are probably going to say all of the above but was there one piece of gear that made a huge difference once you aquired it?

I'd agree with previous comments that the instrumentation could be tighter... but it's still a nice song to listen to...
Don't know if there is a secret. My room is just like any other room in the house and the RNP/RNC settings have not bee moved since around March (which tells you how much I really know about compressors).

I've got to say that I found the NTK to suit my voice really well. I used to love the AT4040. I still like it but now it only serves as back up. My vocal quality is actually very limited. I'd like to do Audioslave and Metallica stuff but I just don't have the same quality vocals. I just have to choose songs that suit my voice.

Sage97 said:
I just have to choose songs that suit my voice.
I think that's an interesting point... often I think I've got something good going when I'm writing a song and then I record it and realise it's shit... and then on the other hand sometimes something I record without any great expectations will surprise me and turn out to be good...

It's one thing having a good vocal range but it's another thing having a good vocal tone throughout that range...

... so I'm still trying to learn what types of songs suit my voice... once I've figured it out I'll concentrate on writing the ones that do and avoiding the ones that don't... might save me writing a lot of songs that never see the light of day...

That's the plan anyway...

Back