Another new recording: So Nice - a 7 string samba

Jim Soloway

The actual title of this is "Summer Samba", but since that part opf the lyric never made it into the English translation, it's usually referred to as "So Nice". As usual, it's just me and my guitar recorded live with no overdubs. I think it's a pretty good example of why a 7 string is a useful instrument.

Groovy Jim. You like lenny breau?

Enjoyed the tune. odd distortion here and there.

Overall A Ok.

Emeric said:
Groovy Jim. You like lenny breau?

Enjoyed the tune. odd distortion here and there.

Overall A Ok.

Good call. I grew up Winnipeg, the closest thing Lenny ever had to a home town and I've been listening to him for over 30 years. I think he was probably the greast guitar play of all time.

Right on Jim. I didn't get tuned in to Breau's stuff till maybe mid-90's. He is still underated and to many unknown, which is a shame.

"I think he was probably the greatest guitar play of all time."

Certainly in the upper eshelon.

Hey Jim...that's some sweet jazzy jammin. And a fantastic voice...

If only you were doing this in the forties. You must have women crawling all over you. ;)

Only suggestion would be too check your EQ on the git....might need a small cut in the 80-250 region. Other than very nice...good warm vocal!

SLuiCe said:
Hey Jim...that's some sweet jazzy jammin. And a fantastic voice...

If only you were doing this in the forties. You must have women crawling all over you. ;)

I do have women crawling all over me. The sad part is that they were all young in the forties which means their in their 70's now.

That is beautiful. you have to tell me about the guitar/amp/recording chain. That's flawless playing my friend. And
SLuiCe is spot on with EQ advice. May be even a bit higher, say around 300hz.

It's recorded on a Tascam 788. Both the guitar and were cut live, no edits or overdubs on the guitar and one small edit on the vocals.

The guitar is an Ibanez 7421XL 7 string with an extended scale (27 inches). The extra string is tuned to a low A.

From there, it goes to a Yamaha DG Stomp set up essentially to emulate a Fender Twin. From the DG Stomp, it goes to an Audio Buddy Preamp.

The vocals were done on a Studio Projects B3 condenser mic through the same Audio Buddy Pre-amp.

I cut a second song during the same session that I actually thought was better, but it fell through the forum like a rock, so here's a second link to it.

Back