Another mixer recommendation (12-16 channels)

MAXRB

Hello:

First of all, a few months after the purchase of my TSR-8 I'm very happy with the experience (analog recording) and the results, so thanks to everybody for your advice.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading my mixer. I've two, a M-208 I'm not using because it has only 4 direct outs and a Soundcraft Spirit FX-8, which is not bad but it's not an inline mixer, so I'm repatching all the time.

I read other threads (specially a recent one) about recording mixers recommendations. The thing is I don't have space for a really big console (besides I probably have to had one shipped for me), so I was thinking about a mid-sized recording console:
-Inline if possible
-12-16 channels
-At least 8 direct outs
-Good pres (even if eq, etc is not great).
In another forum somebody has recommend me a new Midas Verona (16 channels). Sure it looks good but it's quite pricey.

Can you tell please which models (tascam or not) should I look for at Ebay, etc?
Maybe the M-2516?

Thanks again

Hello:

First of all, a few months after the purchase of my TSR-8 I'm very happy with the experience (analog recording) and the results, so thanks to everybody for your advice.

Now I'm thinking about upgrading my mixer. I've two, a M-208 I'm not using because it has only 4 direct outs and a Soundcraft Spirit FX-8, which is not bad but it's not an inline mixer, so I'm repatching all the time.

I read other threads (specially a recent one) about recording mixers recommendations. The thing is I don't have space for a really big console (besides I probably have to had one shipped for me), so I was thinking about a mid-sized recording console:
-Inline if possible
-12-16 channels
-At least 8 direct outs
-Good pres (even if eq, etc is not great).
In another forum somebody has recommend me a new Midas Verona (16 channels). Sure it looks good but it's quite pricey.

Can you tell please which models (tascam or not) should I look for at Ebay, etc?
Maybe the M-2516?

Thanks again

You might not need another mixer. You could use the Spirit to go to the Tape machine and bring the tape machine back to the M-208 for monitoring while you track. Add a patch bay and you could re-patch as needed between all the units. Have your normal set up for tracking and patch around for re-mix duties.

MAXRB,

I was thinking of the 2516, or even the 1516. Either would be a step up from the 208 or the FX-8...I think the 1516 is only 4 subgroups though....the 2516 is 8, but both have direct outs on each strip I believe and both are "inline", so having 8 subs might not be as big an issue.

What's your budget ceiling?

Rick is right tho'...that would be one way to use your existing gear, one mixer for inputs and another for tape returns, but...um...the M208 will do all that and a bag of chips.

If I understand correctly your problem is lack of post fader tape sends right? You'd like at least 8 and the M208 has 4 (plus sort of two more but they source the 4 groups so there is really just the 4 dedicated busses) with no post fader direct outs and the FX-8 has only two mix busses and also no post-fader direct outs right?

Do I get it?

Why are you looking for 12-16 channels?

You might not need another mixer. You could use the Spirit to go to the Tape machine and bring the tape machine back to the M-208 for monitoring while you track.
RRuskin,

Actually I was doing that, sorry for no telling you.
So I don't have an excuse anymore to buy another mix...:D

Hi Sweetbeats,

Although I can work with my two mixers combined I'm thinking about an upgrade:
-to have the same machine and pres recording an monitoring.
-to get a more compact system
-Because I'd like to get a more pro looking analog recording setup :-)eek:). I'm planning to record some local bands which are interested in my TSR-8 and it would be great to have a bigger mixer to impress them.:cool:
Seriously, the Soundcraft ist's ok but I'd like to upgrade the mixer (bigger fader, better pres and eq, etc).
-12 channel because if I'm mixing I would need some extra channels for FX processors (my echoplex...), wouldn't I?
I said 16 because I don't know if there are too many 12 tracks around there...

That M-1600 look great but maybe 24 channels is too much.
Anyway I sent an email to the M-1600 seller, he is considering to ship it overseas.
My budget ceiling is about $800-1000 but usually I've to buy overseas so I good amount of this is for USPS and not for the console itself.
Are M-1600 better than the 2516 or just form a different year?
I know a bit about the main Tascam recoders but nothing about the mixers.

Thanks

I'm kind of biased because I have one, but the M-2516 is a very capable mixer. Each channel has a direct in/out as well as 8 buss groupings, which can be routed to the TSR-8 if you wish. There are 4 effects send/return loops for your effects rack. I love mine, I just need to get a new side panel and a couple of new knobs to make it look pristine. I'm kind of funny about things like that.:p

I've got some photos and a decent copy (pdf) of the manual if you are interested in what this beast is capable of.

It all comes down to preference though man.;)

MAXRB,

You may not need channel strips for effects returns...depends on the mixer.

The 1500 series morphed into the 1600 series, the 2500 series morphed into the 2600 series.

The 1500 series ran parallel with the 2500, same for the 1600 with the 2600.

The 2000 series mixers were a step up from the 1000 series for sure. I mean, bigger model number must mean better right?? :D Nothing against the 1000 series as they are very capable and feature rich mixers, but if you can afford a 2000 series it is worth it IMHO based on your reasons for getting a 16-ish channel mixer.

But that still is a very good price for a 24-channel 8-buss Tascam board with the meter bridge... :p

Good luck.

Back