Another Mando Duet - JSB

keith.rogers

Our son was home for Christmas so I pressed a mandolin into his hands for this one.

Recorded on my Zoom F8n with a pair of Soyuz 013 (FET) SDCs about a good 15-18" away from each other and same distance from the mandos, angled slightly away from each other - i.e., no specific stereo recording technique. Mixed/pseudo-mastered in Logic Pro X.

Last edited:
What mando's you playing?
I'm playing a 2009 Eastman 815v that I got from an old friend and our son is playing a 2019 Northfield NFS-F5. The NF was an impulse buy not long ago because the Eastman seriously needs a refret and I came across what felt like a good deal. They're both pretty nice.

Our son was home for Christmas so I pressed a mandolin into his hands for this one.

Recorded on my Zoom F8n with a pair of Soyuz 013 (FET) SDCs about a good 15-18" away from each other and same distance from the mandos, angled slightly away from each other - i.e., no specific stereo recording technique. Mixed/pseudo-mastered in Logic Pro X.

That was so pleasing to hear @keith.rogers. Keep up with the excellent work, I'm waiting for the next one :thumbs up:

Very cool. I have an old A-50 in desperate need of a refret
Between the months long wait (and it's not "take a number" and we'll call - you leave the instrument sit there) at the best guys around here and the eye-popping prices being charged right now (plus actually having done a lot of guitar/bass refrets myself), I'm going to dive in and do it myself. I figure it's going to, effectively, knock a few hundred off what I paid for the NF. I just need to allow time to get it right and not feel rushed, because I know how that can turn out... (Like me, my tools are old and dull, so going fast is almost certain to end in tears :).)

Back