Another Internet Collaboration, Studio Projects C1 vocals...

Queue

Okay,
I've mixed this song so many times...

It is called "I Hate the Rain" and my kids and I made up the initial song this 4th of July weekend (it rained a lot). This is an internet collaboration done over at Collaboration Central. Two of the contributors are people I recruited from here, Bassman (on Bass ;) ), and Tekker on drums.
electric Guitar work by Sergio (I think he mostly uses a pod), and Acoustic Guitar by Bill (into an SM58 clone and some outboard gear, I believe). Bill contributed quite a bit to the arrangement. I did all the vocals, except the kids at the beginning and the end.

Comment on anything you like, from lyrics (yes they are supposed to be a bit childish), to song, to tone, to production. I'll pass comments on to the others, if it is something I didn't do.

Hopefully I won't have to mix it too many more times.

Thanks in advance for listening and commenting.

Queue

Although Collaboration Central has free web space, I posted this on my Nowhere Radio site, figuring we can always help Waldo out with a few hits, and if you care to leave a review there, go for it. (Assuming you want to leave a good review :eek: ...)

This has a pretty cool sound to it. I guess you guys swapped mp3 files, or did you have high speed connections or something?

I gotta admit, I've been annoyed with all of the C-1 (over?) hype - but I have to conceed it sounds sweet on your vocals. Damn - I may have to look into one in the future.

The drums seem to be mixed oddly, but it may work with this tune. All around good job otherwise.

I'm enjoying looping this tune on my audio player.

This is a pretty good song..I like it! I think that you should pull the elec.guits down a little..and the "lead guit" is a little off in his phraseing ..Acoustic is nicely done, maybe feature it a little more in the mix{would fit this style of song better}.I like your voice pulll the verb back a tad and jack it up in "db" a little..Its the best part of the song and I'de like to hear it more clearly..Kids voice at the top is great ..use it in the breakdown also..Drummer loses the groove at the end{may be pull a cross fade with kids vox at the end} ..Maybe start the fade a little earlier just before the fills go..then they will have the energy without slammin against the feel so much.. All and all its a really nice song!Good Job..

Don

Last edited:
Jim & Don,
Thanks for listening and commenting.

Jim,
Most of the swapping was MP3's, the bass track was swapped as a wav file, and the vocals are mine, so they're all 24 bit 44.1 wav files.

I put the C1 reference in the subject line, because there's a lot of people out there who have read the hype, but want to hear what the thing sounds like. I used NO EQ at all on the vocals. I did use quite a bit of FX on them (doubled, compressed, and reverb) ... probably too much (but I'm getting better at controlling my urges.) ;)

The drum mix is 3 tracks, one kick and two overheads (of different type). I believe at some point bassman used the kick drum track as a midi trigger to get a different kick sound. If it is one thing we are lacking over there at Collaboration Central, it is drummers. Lots of guitarists. I think this track is the first project that I've worked on over there that wasn't done with full MIDI drums or some looping proggie. I really like Tekker's style, I think what he added to the song in energy more than makes up for the less than perfect sound. (Plus he did the cool backwards cymbal FX, too :D ).

Don,
In case you didn't notice this song is pretty damn unconventional in the "verse, chorus, verse" sense of things. So I'll have to ask you what you mean by "breakdown" (at about where mm:ss?) When I listened to this mix, I thought the vocals could use a little boost in the mix, too, but was trying to avoid the mistake of putting yourself too "up" in the mix. I'll also work a little more on guitar balance. I might not be able to get the lead guitar phrasing reworked, as the lead guitarist is pretty busy right now, and on top of that, is building a new PC :eek: .

I'm glad you both liked the song...

Queue

Like the acoustic, don't like the backing electric. Like it much better when the backing electric steps up and kicks ass. Maybe they step up a tad too much vis a vis the drums, though. Dunno - listening on cans.

Nice song. Well played. If it was me, I'dve done it a bit drier, less verb.

Good work.

So about the little girl voice(s)... Another example of unpaid child labor? I bet the authorities would like to know about this. :D

Little kids hanging out with a rock and roll band. I don't know...

... well, we all kinda twisted Queue's arm ta get the kids involved - can only hope mom was actin' as supervisor.

I'm enjoying this song. I like its warmth, cohesiveness and clarity. THis is much improved over the last post, and that was good.

I also like the bigness you got through the use of the pan pot. Very forward sound.

All around a good job.

Dobro and CJ,
Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm putting all the suggestions together for a final remix.

As far as the kids... they are my 5 (6 in February) year old twins, one boy one girl. As far as kids hanging around a rock band goes, remember this is an internet collaboration. The only person they see is Daddy.

Queue

Nice job! I'm listening on headphones at work...the "thunderstorm" in the beginning sounds great. Was that recorded on the C1 as well, or is that from a sound effects library?

Your voice sounds great on the C1. I own one, too, and am just about to post a thread with a link to my IUMA site. Hope you can check it out...

Thanks BobO...
Bill (cwh) recorded the rain. He'll have to tell you which mic. The thunderclap I found on the web. Many have noted that it sounds exactly like a sound file that comes in a library shipped with creative soundcards.

I'll look for your song...

Queue

BobO

The rain was just my trusty ol' 58clone stuck in the window during a rainstorm that happened by when this song was just getting started. The thunderclap is all Queue's...

The clone is an SHS OM-750 - and it really is a clone, not just a knock-off. I A/B'd it with a '58 before I bought (within pennies pricewise), and it's a bit brighter. With MY voice, that's a big help lol!

Bill

Hey Q,the breakdown is at approx. the 2 min mark..Where the song comes to it simplest elements..Try folding{kids voices} it in..and it will reprise the top of the song..Might be cool?Good Luck

Don

Don,
Thanks for the positive id on the breakdown. We'd been calling that "verse 3" ;). We were calling that point where everyone stops in the outro a breakdown, and I was pretty sure you didn't mean that part... As I said this song does not follow the vs ch vs format at all...

Actually, I had an idea for a little backing vocal part there, so if the kids don't work in that part, I'll try my other idea. I like to get the kids interested and involved, but never ever force them to do anything, so if they're not into it, I may not have a choice.

Queue

"As far as kids hanging around a rock band goes, remember this is an internet collaboration. The only person they see is Daddy."

:D I think probably half the things I say on this board are meant wrily. I should post more smilies so it's more obvious. :D

>>so if they're not into it, I may not have a choice.

I find in general that a good beating helps with things like that:)

joke, joke there..

Fantastic Queue,

Great song, and recording. You go Queue!! I know Bassman, great job!! Hope he didn't bitch too much, Heh Heh.

Must play again.

GT

Just my usual cranky self GT... Someones gotta be picky, may as well be me... ;) I still listen to the last one we did. Looking forward to the next Tune, have anything in the works?

hey man, me and two brothers really like this. I'm impressed by the relative non-compression-artifacts that should be there from recompressin already compressed files.

kristian,
It'll prolly sound like shite when I burn it to a CD... :eek:

thanks for the kind words from you and your bros...

GT, Thanks for listening and commenting. This is the second collaboration I've done with Bassman. I like the bitching (usually makes the song better in the long run...)

Queue

Back