another idiot!

kindofblue

Would it be more beneficial to get the focusrite octopre as my main front end or get a two other mediocre pre's like the RNP etc..

Would the octopre (which im assuming has better preamps) offer anything more than the RNP or any other preamp in that price range? Also, is the octopre any better than its competitors (digimax LT, the octane ?)

Seriously,
The RNP blows the platinum series type stuff totally away.
If you are looking at 8 ins it will cost you 3 - 4 times as much for RNPs than an Octane.

Yes - the 'gold channel' approach can be a good one if you're mostly recording one or two channels but sometimes need the whole lot. An RNP and a Yamaha MG12/4 would give you eight separate pres.

kindofblue said:
Would the octopre (which im assuming has better preamps) offer anything more than the RNP or any other preamp in that price range? Also, is the octopre any better than its competitors (digimax LT, the octane ?)

The Octopre is basically the same mic pre design as the focusrite Platinum range . . . which is pretty middle-of-the-road stuff. Nice, but nothing to get too excited over.

If all you need is preamp, that's a good way to go. If you need compression, limiting, expanding, eq, etc., there are other options.

Yeah. The RNP+Soundcraft thing is a touch more expensive than, for example, a DMP3 and MG12/4. But as BK says, if you want outboard compression (good for SNR on the way in) then you may find yourself buying extras almost immediately.

do you run into a bottle neck if you use the same pre for tracking an entire song? i've never thought about that...would it lack character?

I seldom record more than one track at a time unless it is just a reference track.If I run drums through a mixer, my limit here is that I need a pretty good mix going down because my editability later is limiited. I usually use three mics on a drum set up now and I have the preamps to do that

kindofblue - you mean all the tracks sound kinda 'samey'? yeah, possibly, but it'd still sound better than on three different Behringer pres, I guess.

kindofblue said:
do you run into a bottle neck if you use the same pre for tracking an entire song? i've never thought about that...would it lack character?

Depends on the preamp.

"Back in the day" there weren't a heck of a lot of preamps around... you used what was on the console. That's why serious consoles cost a few hundred thousand serious dollars--all the channels are immaculate.

In some ways I find mixing and matching preamps to have a jarring sound if abused. I'd rather grab one set of seriously awesome preamps and be done with it. Like 4 ISA 428's (16 channels of preamp) and call it a night.

Subtle 'sameness' can mix a track better than you think. The only time I'd really consider a radically different preamp is maybe for snare, and vocals. I'd like a M610 for vocals.

my main dilemma is that I was going to buy that focusrite octopre...than you guys kinda swayed me and got me thinking a little better. What sound differences would I be getting between a platinum range focusrite to that of an RNP? I wish I could demo all this to hear for myself cause I feel like an ass buggin you guys!

dave

I've never used an RNP, but I have heard good things about them. However, I do own a Focusrite VoiceMaster. I recently compared it to a Universal Audio 2-610...the 2-610 blew the VM away. Seriously. WAY richer and fuller (wait...is "fuller" a word?).

IMHO, the RNP is the entry level of the really good preamps. You might want to check out this sight to actually listen to some different pre's:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/sessions.htm

The site has been a help to me (and Dan's a pretty good guy, too...) :)

Back