Another frustrating problem.

tranquillant

Alright, reaper has done it for me again.... I love this software but lately it has given me a bit of grief.

Here's how it goes. I am laying down guitar tracks and I'äve recorded to lines and everything goes smoothly and playback is fine. Then suddenly when I press play, it freezes for a moment and then the playback starts but without sound. This is usually resolved by opening the project again or restarting reaper.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of stuff?

I'm not a Reaper guy, but this sounds like a processing issue regarding your computer, more than the software...

I'm not a Reaper guy, but this sounds like a processing issue regarding your computer, more than the software...

Thats the funny thing it just started recently. I have a 4 core AMD processor in my computer and it's multithreading capabilities shouldn't crap out in tasks such as this.

This happens for me in Cubase in fact , if I've not set the ASIO slider correctly?

Might be, though I've used these Asios configurations for quite a long time and this just started happening recently.

Dang...I just realized what might cause this... I should probably clean the insides of the PC.... could be dust and other things in the processor fan or other fans and it closes the sound to prevent the computer for heating up too much. Hopefully it is this... the other options I have in mind would cost too much...

Dang...I just realized what might cause this... I should probably clean the insides of the PC.... could be dust and other things in the processor fan or other fans and it closes the sound to prevent the computer for heating up too much. Hopefully it is this... the other options I have in mind would cost too much...

I have heard of this actually!

Overheating can cause things to shut down. Yeah, blow that shiz out first...

Yeah thats the first thing I'll do. and then... I'm gonna go buy me a new nice tower with fantastic fanning and room for the parts. I've just replaced parts till now, the casing is from 2004 maybe... Too small for these nice new fancy components I've picked up during thge years

I just tried to reply to you. Suggested that you check that your power supply was a adequate for your gear. Googled a power supply calculator, and my shit went haywire!

Running maleware and spyware checks now. I mean seriously, I had every application on my computer freaking out all at once. Had to hard restart before shit blew up.

Thankfully this is not my recording computer. I'll get back to your issue later. There is something evil abound right now...

Friggen yikes!

I just tried to reply to you. Suggested that you check that your power supply was a adequate for your gear. Googled a power supply calculator, and my shit went haywire!

Running maleware and spyware checks now. I mean seriously, I had every application on my computer freaking out all at once. Had to hard restart before shit blew up.

Thankfully this is not my recording computer. I'll get back to your issue later. There is something evil abound right now...

Friggen yikes!

maybe it needs cleaning Jim? :D

Friggen yikes!

Ahhaah!!! Evil spirit of an IBM stuck inside :P

Yeah power supply could be it I have a 500 W power supply which is not even that old and it has gotten me trough supprisingly high power consuming tasks... I'll replace it with a 650 ot 700 W in the near future but to my experience 500 W should be enough for what I've been doing... and if a power supply is crapping out I would see it in other high power consuming tasks that I perform... Thought I have not recorded to 25 - 30 tracks before... and of course My RAM is too low 4 Gb isn't nearly enough for doing what I want to be doing but...You know how it goes... damn that a nice guitar...I have to have it... Oooh cool vintage amp...I have to get it.... Damn that stomp box with that price I have to get it...so the RAM and the power supply have been ignored for too long :D

This has happened to me, and it has always been a matter of the preferences not recognizing the drivers. My own experience is that Reaper likes to be the only audio program open on my system at any given time. If Media Player or iTunes is open, Reaper will be quirky. If Ableton or Audacity is open, Reaper flat out refuse to playback. It is as if Reaper insists on being top dog in my system, and does not like to share soundcard resources with anybody. Yes, Reaper is light on the cpu resources, but I still try to have it be the only thing open when I am using it.

Alright, reaper has done it for me again.... I love this software but lately it has given me a bit of grief.

Here's how it goes. I am laying down guitar tracks and I'äve recorded to lines and everything goes smoothly and playback is fine. Then suddenly when I press play, it freezes for a moment and then the playback starts but without sound. This is usually resolved by opening the project again or restarting reaper.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of stuff?

This has happened to me, and it has always been a matter of the preferences not recognizing the drivers. My own experience is that Reaper likes to be the only audio program open on my system at any given time. If Media Player or iTunes is open, Reaper will be quirky. If Ableton or Audacity is open, Reaper flat out refuse to playback. It is as if Reaper insists on being top dog in my system, and does not like to share soundcard resources with anybody. Yes, Reaper is light on the cpu resources, but I still try to have it be the only thing open when I am using it.

I am fairly certain it is the only audio software open at the time I use it... have to start monitoring more close when this happens if something has suddenly popped up and thats why it goes silent... have to check it windows installed some strange new drivers lately

I found this: "ASIO drivers Do Not share control of audio with other applications." You can look it up and confirm, but this seems like any audio using ASIO drivers would have exclusive control.

I found this: "ASIO drivers Do Not share control of audio with other applications." You can look it up and confirm, but this seems like any audio using ASIO drivers would have exclusive control.

or...it could be a USB driver issue... in the past I've seen those drivers and their problems manifest in ways that the word weird just don't cut it.

Crap.... I was so hoping there would have been a simple solutions that would be software based...I guess I have to start going at it piece by piece... gotta love it. :cursing:

Well, I don't know what happened but my old Dell is still kickin. lol

I did have an issue a while back with my recording PC. ASIO spikes every 15 seconds or so. I went through every thing I could think of. I finally gave up and took it to a tech after buying a new interface and paying them to go through the system. It ended up being a malfunctioning $30 KVM switch that I used to share monitors with this internet PC pig I am typing on now. Needless to say, I don't share my monitors anymore...

Best of luck to you man! :)

Well, I don't know what happened but my old Dell is still kickin. lol

I did have an issue a while back with my recording PC. ASIO spikes every 15 seconds or so. I went through every thing I could think of. I finally gave up and took it to a tech after buying a new interface and paying them to go through the system. It ended up being a malfunctioning $30 KVM switch that I used to share monitors with this internet PC pig I am typing on now. Needless to say, I don't share my monitors anymore...

Best of luck to you man! :)

Have to remember to never share monitors :D

Yeah I'll zero in the problem finally...and if not theres a big wide world filled with various different components to choose from...only they cost money...

Yeah, funny enough. I was kind of hoping this PC would die. Give me an excuse to buy a new one. lol.

I can't find spending money before it is necessary. Guess I will have to wait...

I am curious though, what the hell happened last night. Literally, PC was flashing bits of every opening screen of every program installed. Maybe it was the acid...lol

Yeah, funny enough. I was kind of hoping this PC would die. Give me an excuse to buy a new one. lol.

Yeah I know what you mean...been buying all kind of gadgets lately the wife would have me buried in a remote location if I'd go "honey, I just bought these...".

I am curious though, what the hell happened last night. Literally, PC was flashing bits of every opening screen of every program installed. Maybe it was the acid...lol

Sounds like you got some martiants eaves dropping on your tunes... I remember X-files having those kind of effects when visitors from outerspace came calling :P ...No truthfull I can only think that maybe your videocard is giving out or a faulty cable taking interference from a local source...you have speakers near your monitor? could be the magnetic field of the speakers making the interference

Back