Another f'n mandolin post?

keith.rogers

Well, yes. Just audio (you're welcome) this time, though this is essentially the track from a video (posted on a FB group), with a quick rinse through the RX de-click because when I turned it up I heard a bit more pick clickety-clack than I liked.

For reference song was written by Nancy Blake, but AFAIK, only recorded by Norman Blake (mandolin) and Tony Rice (guitar) on the Blake & Rice 2 album. (On there, it goes at a significantly faster pace, which we geezers are not going to get to, it seems.) In the original, the mandolin is a little brighter and the guitar a bit less bright, but we were stuck with the instruments and fingers we had.

Mandolin, at least how I play it, is a bear to control. Compared to a fiddle, say, it has a limited dynamic range, but it still is a very percussive, "poppy" (prone) little thing. So far, I have to put a bit of compression on to knock down the stray hits that just come out a bit too much for my ear. Otherwise, it's a work in progress, and getting less problematic at mix time. I could probably back off the mics a bit more, but I've got outside lawn equipment and overhead hobby pilots to worry about, so still keeping the mics relatively close, within a foot or so.

Recorded in our home's larger, fairly open family room space with a couple Soyuz 013 FET mics into the Zoom F8n. Logic Pro with minimal EQ and compression, a bit of LP's "space designer" reverb.

Well, that's very nice of you gents. I'm actually kind of pleased with how this went.

Going to work on a couple more, but a very long "holiday" away from the house is looming so the recording is going to take a pause for month or so. Been forced to start packing today...

Lovely tune, lovely playing.

How much of the attack of each mando note is compression and how much is just the instrument? I'm going to haul out my Chris Thile stuff and compare.

Wonderful Job ! Both instruments sounded Great. I'm not much of a mandolin player but it's something I Love playing . I Really enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed it more the second listen after flipping my headphone around and putting the mandolin on the right .. just a personal preference . mark

Thanks for the listens and comments

FWIW, I do not compare my playing to Chris Thile's! ;) But, yeah, one of the traits of those "masters" is the control of dynamics. I think (hope!) some of that will comes with time, and I've been only poking around with this thing for a tiny bit over a year. The high tension and short scale on those 8 strings is a lot different than a guitar, though I have several more years of playing that.

The mando is on the left here because in the video that's where I was seated. It's not a real wide spread, but I didn't fool around with changing it when I just did the bounce for SoundCloud.

In another thread here, there's been a bit of talk about compression. Parallel compression is popular with a couple of us as a way to bring stuff out when levels are variable and you don't want any squashing going on. Do you use it on mando tracks?

In another thread here, there's been a bit of talk about compression. Parallel compression is popular with a couple of us as a way to bring stuff out when levels are variable and you don't want any squashing going on. Do you use it on mando tracks?
I don't use it "as a rule," but if I just do my usual thing and find that when I'm trying to get something to a streaming level it does impact dynamics more than I want, I'll go back and play with the mix control on the compressor(s), to see if it helps. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

My approach generally is to really look at what the compressor is doing and have it do as little as possible with the threshold minimizing how much material is getting compressed, and then thinking about how the ratio, attack and release help me get stuff where I want, without a drastic change in the performance.

That's what I did for years, but I found that I just don't like the sound of compression much. I'd do an A/B of the track switching the compressor in and out, and pretty much every time I'd prefer the sound without (despite the fact that it sorted out the dynamics issue), especially with acoustic instruments. So now I use a combination of parallel compression and automation of peaks, and stay away from compressors as inserts unless the situation's unworkable otherwise. When I mentioned Chris Thile, I meant his sound. He's a hugely dynamic player - I wonder how his mixing engineer handles the sound. I'd love to hear your track with parallel compression but without direct compression, and compare it to the sound you posted above.

I'm always willing to listen to a different way to do things. (I do automate the big peaks.)

But, I will do that with the next project - later in the summer at this point since I will be away from recording for about 4 weeks, starting tomorrow.

Back