Another f_ckup by yours trully

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
So I was adding some new user profiles yesterday, as someone else here now has access to my machine. When I first started using XP PRO, I just started using it as system administrator (system default). So when I added a new user, it also requested that I add myself as system administrator again. So I did.

Basically I ended up with 2 new user accounts. The new user here, and myself.

However, in the process, the original administrator account is no longer there.

So I figured this was ok, but when I log in as myself, all the favorites are gone, and worse, I can't use my paid for software, because it is registered under my original administrator. My n-track tells me to register. Crap.

I know everything is still here, I can find all the favorites in a folder, as well as all the other crap I had laying around. But how do I get ti to view me as me?...instead of someone new?...I really don't want to go reinstall eerything and import each link one at a time. Please help :D...hehe...

The icon you click to run the program have you tried, right-clicking on it and choose "run as" and then run it as "administrator"

that might work.
Or you can just use the default admin account, and not bother with the newly created one.

Also maybe, log on as the original admin and do a settings and preference transfer to your new admin account.
Start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools -> files and settings transfer wizard.

Those are some options.

Ok I have tried running "as Administrator", but I get all kinds of errors.

As well, it wont let me login to the original administrator account, it seems to have simply vanished or rather, been replaced by the new account of ME.

How do I get back to the original administrator account?

Groovy, I managed to get back to the original administrator...thanks alot.

However, I am still having major errors...it can't find my VST's and it always says error creating toolbar....all my Icons, it doesn't reckognize (n-track)...so I have to manually *open with*...

Ok, I can probably troubleshoot from here, but any ideas on how to make things peachy again without aggravation...ie a nice simple system check like norton has, that'lll make everything nice again ? :D...

And finally, can I safely delete my newly made ME user account without destroying stuff in the original Administrator account?

I think I can, but I would like to be reassured somehow :).

Thanks again.

Not sure how to make everything peachy again.
You could try using the system restore feature to a point before you created the ME account. That MIGHT work.

But it might not.

Deleting the ME account shouldn't make anything go to craps.
Just make sure anything you did under it that you want is over on your original admin account, or under "all users."

Hopefully getting everything nice again won't be too aggravating.

I made a pledge to myself never to mess with XP user accounts ever again.

I decided to make new accounts at one point for whatever reason, just a bad idea I tell you. It was recommended to do, this and that by making this account for whatever. Just led to me getting frustrated and rectifying the problems making new users made.

It's like once you install XP, you create any account you may need then or else you're looking at a job in the future of fiddling and transfering and re-installing.

Well, good-luck.
Other than User accounts XP has been a wonderful thing. Hasn't done a damn things wrong the year + I've been running it. Other than my decision to add user accounts after I established the one I was using far to well.

Cool thanks man...So far everything else is back to normal, it seems only n-track is being fussy right now. It says it can't find the VST plugins in the folder, but I checked and they are right there. I'll try reinstalling n-track tomorrow.

And yea, only mess with user accounts initially, this freaked me out lol, what a pain in the ass. And yea, I gotta emulate how excellent this OS has been, compared to 98SE which I was running. No conflicts to speak of, no grief...and well, the new machine its in has definately helped a lot too (A7N8X Del...XP1800 AMD)...

Once again a BBS member here has bailed me out :D...I love this place :).

Back