Another Example Of Why I Can't Sell Songs

heh, i resemble this song!!!:D cool lyric's, Chris!!

"football bat" i agree the masses, funny as hell!

have a nice day!!!

peace

rick

Sound's real good, bro!!! nothing to add, go figure. :rolleyes:

EDIT!!!!!!!!!! Where's the kick??? see, i found something to bitch about!!!:D but i didnt even really notice it missing on the first listen:confused: so maybe it doesn't need it?? i'll shut up now!

Last edited:
Wow, great job Chris! I like a lot, I agree that you may have failed on the whole happy thing, but you wrote a killer song in the process. I listened to a bunch of your other stuff too. I like it a lot. Keep up the good work.

Hey Chris,
Im back. ....at home this time.... The bg's sound nice man. Hey, that aint no damn mando ....is it? :D I dont hear the "harshness" that you mentioned man. You really did a great job on the lead vocs in this. Very clear and dynamic. I would love to sit here and bitch man......... ....but im coming up short. .....very nice job, and great song.......

Good stuff Chris, You and me and love songs.. My last one was named "the coffin song" A song about love, but I just got to throw the darkness in there.

Anyway, I like it. sounds good. sort of has that James Taylor flavor.

"I like people who aren't perfect, who never shave their balls."

Do you mean people who shave thier balls are perfect???

F.S.

Slap, Slap, Slap, Slap

Just me walking away.....

Nice song.
Sounds well recorded, maybe the backing vocals are a little lound the first time they come in.

ok, I've been listening to this almost nonstop.. even burned it to CD for my commute to school... I have to comment.. it's burning on me... This song has great songwriting. in fact... I'd venture to say that I don't have a clue why you're NOT selling songs.. I'd imagine that you'd have plugs on several Top Albums.. your writing is very good. This song is easy to relate to.. But my only grief is that I am one of the few that can't relate.. I'm still seeking.. BUT you've found a good nitch with this one Chris. I seriously Dig it..
...and I REALLY like Wednesday Christmas BTW.. I dug that up and put it on the CD too...hope you don't mind.. I'm gona try to figure it out so I have something to record soon.. hehe... your songs inspire me they really do.. I'm getting to like them alot.
Well. Peace Man.. Cudos!

Sounds great-very clean-vocals have a nice warm sound and sit well in the mix-its easy to pick out every word. Your usual collection of good lines-though it sounds like you had to cram a few too many syllables occasionally-if I were producing this (hah) I woulda pulled the ole amadeus "Too many notes" and you coulda given me some smart ass response....For example the "got a problem with authority" line seems kinda off rythmically..This could be a personal preference thing.
I never liked motivational speakers myself-they never tell people "do what i do"-there's enough type A people in the world...And you, anti-social??the most social guy in the whole clinic is a wallflower at parties hmmm.
Oh yeah-your song----I liked the background vocals-sound great-really smooth from oooh's to ahhh's-nice. Nice bridge-flows effortlessly,nice changes. Really this might be the best sounding song I've heard from you-its soooo easy on the ears-and theres really alot going on. Extra primo good!

OK, I finally got a chance to give this a good listen.

Good:

1) The mix sound fecking amazing.
2) The guitars sound great. You'll have to tutor me on how you do that some day :D
3) Your voice sounds great in this song. Better than I remember in the other songs of yours I've heard (haven't listened to all of them...c'mon I have a life ya know ;):D)
4) That cheap broken mando sounds awfully good to me in the beginning. Shows you how much I need monitors :D
5) I really like the overall message of the song.
6) There are some great lines in here. When I first heard "screwy as a football bat" I had to get a Staticide wipe to clean my screen :D. Genious.
7) BU vocals sound very good.

Bad:

1) I'm missing a little prosity in some parts of the song. (In some cases the words don't match the music and seem a little awkward for those who don't know what prosity means - it aint in any dictionary :D). Too many/too hurried words in some places.
2) I did hear some areas where it seemed to me that there were some lines were added to just make the rhyme. They seemed to disrupt the flow to me just a little. Not terribly, just enough for me to notice.

Ugly:

1) My computer speakers which I use for monitors.
2) My Peavey Horizon II elec. guitar that I took out for the first time in about 5+ years and found the neck so warped it isn't in tune with itself. I took it in to get fixed and they clamped down on the truss rod as far as they can go. I have to put extra light strings on and it still is slightly out of tune with itself... Oh...shit...this was about you not me :D..
3) Never mind... nothing then. :D

After all that...I really liked the song. The song is strong enough where even the items I listed above don't bother me enough to not listen to it. Definitely a keeper for me.

I do think if you tweaked it a little though, it could even get better... :)

Nice job!!!

hehe...there's that football bat again :D

Jagular said:
1) I'm missing a little prosity in some parts of the song.
I totally agree. A prime example is where (for some reason) I sang "I secretly make fun of him with you"... Using "secretly" totally kills what little flow that line otherwise had without it.

And I agree with the "wordiness" factor that others have mentioned also. I think it's almost REQUIRED for me to sing a tune about 20 times before I record it. This one only got one, and it shows. On the positive side, the "final" version of this cuts out a lot of that wordiness that the mp3 added. :D :D :D Thanks a ton for listening...I know you're on a dialup, so it's appreciated.

Bummer on the git. There was about a 2 year period after college when I was gigging 4-6 nights a week and didn't own a guitar at all (it got stolen)...but I'd rather have a borrowed guitar than a bad one...NOTHING is more frustrating for writing. Conversely, putting new strings on an acoustic often results in a new song for some reason. FUN TO PLAY. Get a git. :D

My last one was named "the coffin song" A song about love, but I just got to throw the darkness in there.
No shit. I don't know what it is, but maybe it'll mellow with age...although the older I get, the dumber radio sounds. :D :D But I'm still willing to totally sell out at a moment's notice if the opportunity presents itself.

Originally posted by Guernica
I dont hear the "harshness" that you mentioned man
Thanks a lot for listening again...(on dialup, ugh)...but I feel safer with the EQ selections now. Oh, the version you heard at work was different..and more harsh...and I took the OOOOoohs down per your first post...I think it helped. Buh bye.

Originally posted by Dudleys100
I listened to a bunch of your other stuff too.
My condolensces to you...LOL. I hear stuff like the tune you posted and I just want to start over from the beginning...again. Anyway, thanks for the listen(s) and comments.

Originally posted by fenderlikingood
Where's the kick??? see, i found something to bitch about!!!
hehehee...man, you don't have to feel OBLIGATED to slam my mixes. :D :D There's practically no kick. Honestly, this tune had no drums AT ALL :30 minutes before I posted it...But I decided maybe a brush or something might help it a bit, so I just grabbed a loop and buried it until about all I could hear was the rimshot...My point? You're absolutely right about the kick level, but I got lazy and didn't want to have to re-EQ a bunch of stuff to make a big kick fit... Nice call.

Originally posted by JR #97
so how do you fit being a lawyer and doing the amount of tunes that you do plus the family?
Someday, young jedi, I will reveal my secret. But not today. Thanks a ton for stopping by. You always seem to make time for my non-appealing crap, and I appreciate it.

Originally posted by skids
You know your sound reminds me of Glen Phillips. ... If Toad is one of your favorite bands and Glen was their lead singer, you are doing a great job capturing his feel. I really feel you sound a lot like his solo stuff, lyrically and musically. That's a compliment!

I call his stuff "California Country".
Man, you get my "favorite post" award for this one. I consider that to be a HUGE compliment. "Men Just Leave" is one of my favorite tunes of all time. If you think I got anywhere CLOSE to that vibe, then my work here on earth is done, LOL. Anyway, stick around and post more...We probably agree on a lot of stuff.

Aren - That's a pretty cool thing to say, and I appreciate it bunches.

Okay Peeps...I know I'm the only one reading this thread anymore, but is NOBODY ELSE GETTING THE SIBILANCE ON THIS ONE? I'm kinda' surprised nobody's mentioned it...but at the same time...I guess that's a real big comment in and of itself. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME...

I'M POSTING TOO MANY SONGS AGAIN, AND I KNOW THIS

BUT I TRACKED PARTS OF SEVERAL TUNES WHILE I WAS WAITING FOR SOME GEAR TO ARRIVE...SO THERE ARE SEVERAL MORE ON THE WAY....I'M APOLOGIZING AGAIN...LOL.

chrisharris said:
On the positive side, the "final" version of this cuts out a lot of that wordiness that the mp3 added. :D :D :D Thanks a ton for listening...I know you're on a dialup, so it's appreciated.

I would love to hear the final version. I do very much like the song.

And, me no on dial up so it was easy as pie to dl. Just had real life going on (daughter's third Birthday) on Friday :D

Man I love those lyrics.. lmao.. I also dig the vocals and the back vocals are quite cool.

Dammit! I'm supposed to hate country! And here someone comes along and makes me make exceptions!!

Congrats. You just made a headbanger sway to and fro.

Cy

wow...this is really strange...

I just bought a football bat just yesterday..

you're warped, dude.

nice mix, btw.

Chris,

Traditionally, Country Songs are NOT happy. I mean, listen to Tammy Wynette's "Stand BY Your Man". Biggest hit of her career. Was that happy? No.

What's being marketed as country these days on mainstream country radio is not really country but 80's derived Pop with dobros. Thank Shania Twain and Mutt Lange for that turn of events. :rolleyes:

I would have liked to think that the success of the "O Brother, Where Are Thou" soundtrack might be changing things, but I dunno....

Chris, there is a market for your work. One of the biggest independent stations here in CA is KPIG out of Watsonville, CA. They would, if you have a following, would LOVE your material.

And frankly, you are a man after my own heart!! The lyrics aren't artful, they're honest (a few clumsy passages here and there, but well, it's all good. You seem to have sussed what they are, and it looks like you are going to tweak them anyway...)!! And the playing, in my lo-fi state of mind, sounds absolutely fantastic. LOVE the mandolin!

Back