Another Drum Overhead Mic Thread (but not the usual type)

Seafroggys

Been a month or two since I've hung out here, so hello guys!

Its been a long time since I've gotten any recording gear, but I don't think its GAS affecting me. Since I first had my studio in 2007 I've used a pair of Rode NT2a's for my drum overheads and general utility mics, and they are awesome. I don't know if its just the way I have my drums tuned, or my positioning now, but I was listening to an old recording from 2007 and the drums sounded a lot clearer. Also note that one of my NT2a's stands have fallen, twice, so the mic has taken damage (although not generally noticeable). Since I've pretty much left the mics up on their stands for a couple of years now, they probably have dust damage too. So....I should probably replace them.

Rather than getting new ones, I think its time for me to upgrade. I'm willing to spend up to $2000 for a pair, but obviously if I can get something good for cheaper I will. I am also willing to go used. I know AT4050's are well regarded, and have heard that older C414's are good (but not the newer ones?). Anything else in this range that would work?

they are great mics, how have you kept them since 2007? I keep all my mics in the cases when not used, especially condensors because of the capsule, with a bag that removes the moisture.

I would suggest the Neuman KM 184, but it is small diaphragm. Are you wanting to stay with an LDC?

Sorry, should have mentioned that. Yes, I want to stay with an LDC.

they are great mics, how have you kept them since 2007?

Unfortunately, not well. They've been in their bags a lot early on, but I think they've been on the stands above my drums constantly for a good 3-4 years now. My next mics I'll definitely take care of better.

Bump. Still leaning towards the 4050's....any other suggestions for LDC's for drum overheads that are an upgrade from Rode NT2a's in the $500-1000 range (each)?

Cool. I know there's several varients, any in particular or do you suggest them all?
I like the C414B-ULS for this sort of thing. Usually just the right kind and amount of brightness. You kind of need to use the bass rolloff switch on them for OH. My experience isn't very broad, though. The only other one I have is the XLS. It seems a little brighter (and I only have one), but if I had a pair I'd sure try them out.

Back