Another 7 string swing

Jim Soloway

I was looking for a couple of up tempo tunes to add to my repertoire this week and I came across this. It's "Who Will The Next Fool Be", by Charlie Rich. It's normally done as a slow country blues but I've rearranged it bassically as a swing/jump blues. This certainly won't be the final version, but I'm pretty pleased for a song that I just started putting together on Wednesday.

Another fine job Jim! I'm really diggin' yer tone and style. A keeper for my collection!

I was checkin out your website and you mentioned Kent Armstrong Pickups. I have a custom Telecaster built by a guy here in Tonawanda NY (Mike Cahill) who put Kent Armstrong Pickups in my guitar. I wish I had a pic to show ya but it's a tele-style body made of maple sanwiched between walnut on the front and back with a maple neck. Killer tone and some hot pickups to boot. Now, if I could only play the dang thing.......!

Take care, Charva (Dave)

Wow

That guitar tone is nice!
Great interpretation!
Nice tempo and fine pickin skills.

How did you track the vocals?
I am getting a tad of distortion at times.
It really shows because of the clean ambience of this tune.
I ain't knockin ya bro! The singing is sweet!
I think the problem is equipment oriented. Maybe somebody else up the food chain here can nail it down for you. I am not sure its clipping because it is a fuzzy sound rather than popping but my experience in this stuff is limited.

Only reason I bring this up is because you have a really nice ditty here and maybe a tweak or something could clean it up.

A GREAT job!

Re: Wow

jcmm said:
That guitar tone is nice!
Great interpretation!
Nice tempo and fine pickin skills.

How did you track the vocals?
I am getting a tad of distortion at times.
It really shows because of the clean ambience of this tune.
I ain't knockin ya bro! The singing is sweet!
I think the problem is equipment oriented. Maybe somebody else up the food chain here can nail it down for you. I am not sure its clipping because it is a fuzzy sound rather than popping but my experience in this stuff is limited.

Only reason I bring this up is because you have a really nice ditty here and maybe a tweak or something could clean it up.

A GREAT job!

Actually it wa entirely my fault. I tracked the whole thing way too hot and ended up with some clipping. Where I really need to make a change is in my monitors. There's a lot ending up on disk that I'm not hearing until I play it elsewhere. That's almost certainly coming next.

I can tell you Jim that you are NOT alone!
The first 2 entire projects I did were too hot.........
Didn't find out until I got monitors. After you get them you will get a feel for how far you can go when you record.

BTW, the guitar STILL sounds sweet and if you are getting these results without halfway decent monitors the sky will be the limit when you get a pair!!!!

Keep at it!

Back