Another 388 ?: mono aux returns?

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey everyone,

In pouring over the pictures of a 388 I've found online...

It appears as though the effects returns are both mono. Correct?

Kinda bummed... I was viewing 2 *stereo* returns as a minimum. Any way around this? Are the inputs available at mix down for extra inputs?

Thanks,
Chris

I dont see a problem with a stereo effects unit used on a 388.
Tell us how the effects return is a problem and maybe we can figure a way around it.

Yeah, you can use either two mono effects, or one stereo effect on the 388.
However, in using the mono effects, you can change how they're panned, which may help you somewhat.

-MD

Thanks, folks.

The issue I'm trying to solve is this:

Even when I have mono effects sends, I tend to use stereo returns- mostly because I can with effects gear I've got. For example, I'll add ambience with a stereo reverb and treat the vocals and lead guitar to a stereo delay. Most of it is mono send stereo return.

So the 388 (which I don't own yet and am still considering buying) has 2 mono or 1 stereo return. That's a big change in how I typically use effects- its harder to replace a sense of ambience lost in close micing with a mono reverb, but using a stereo reverb leaves me no other effects returns for spicey stuff.

So my question is if there are any other inputs availible on the 388 mixer at mixdown? Both my other mixing boards allow the line inputs to be used at mixdown for extra effects returns, sound module inputs, etc. Does the 388 mixer have any extra inputs that can be used at mix down?

Thanks. (I'm off to pour over the 388 manual PDF to see if I can figure it out on my own.)

Chris

Hmmm. you still only have one effects send, so your vocals and guitar would be mono going into your reverb, so I don't see the point of having a STEREO return.
If you want the guitar and vocals to be separate send and return to the reverb, try using the ACCESS jacks. These can be used at mixdown, and will allow you to send/receive each channel individually to an effects unit. Alternatively, you can bring your stereo reverb signal back on the STEREO BUSS inputs. This could be your second stereo input (return)
N'est pas??

You might look at the buss ins on the 388. They should solve any problems. Or you might be able to get creative with the inserts on each channel.

technoplayer said:
Hmmm. you still only have one effects send, so your vocals and guitar would be mono going into your reverb, so I don't see the point of having a STEREO return.

False stereo from a mono signal-. If used carefully it expands the stereo field full of mono tracks (eg. stereo room ambience on a close miced acoustic guitar). If used less than carefully it can really wash things out.

I think the stereo buss input is what I'm looking for. And I'll paw through the manual for the buss inputs, as well. I'm double and triple checking how capable the mixer is since I'm considering picking one up as my main home machine composing machine.

Thanks for the help!!
Chris

Chris,...

As well as e'thing that e'one above has said, there is the Stereo-Buss-In, (L/R), on RCA connectors. You could use these inputs as additional stereo efx-return, given that you were mixing down on the Stereo L/R buss.

Did I tell'ya that...

the 388's mixer could support the 48 very nicely, with the addition of an M-1B 8x line mixer as cue monitor. These three components would make for a pretty flexible system. Tell'em, Herm!;)

Bummer. :(

I just heard back from the guy. Apparently it took a fall in storage and everything is still funtioning- except the FF is vvveeerrryyy slow.

:(

Maybe it just means I should pony up for the MSR-16 that is also availible at the moment. :D

(sigh) Oh, well.

There is an analog adjustment for FF/RW speed on the 388,...

not to mention the obvious sticky-tape factor that should be verified. It could be as simple as either of those two things, considering the unit's been in storage.

Not that I'd say dropping a 388 is a good thing in any way,... but dropping it may not be the direct cause of the FF problem. Just a tip. It may bear further troubleshooting to determine for sure.;)

Thanks, Dave.

He may drop the price, as well, so we'll see. I just skimmed the manual for the adjustment of FF/RW speed- couldn't find it.

Apparently it was about an 18" slide off another box. All the VU lights and stuff still work... ah, we'll see.

Chris

Hmmm....

I wonder if its in the maintainance section- that's not included in the PDF. I'll probably go take a look at it anyway- where should I look (either in the manual or on the machine) for that control?

Also here's an update on the damage report...

" It fell on the back metal extension guards luckily. One is slightly bent. And I think the left tape wheel doesn't spin as freely to FF as it should because of a slight interference. Possibly it's rubbing a bit."

Should I run cringing in fear? That's kinda what my gut is telling me- I don't really have the expertise or skill to start figuring this out if its too complex. I wish it were otherwise, but.... it isn't.

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
Hmmm....

" It fell on the back metal extension guards luckily. One is slightly bent. And I think the left tape wheel doesn't spin as freely to FF as it should because of a slight interference. Possibly it's rubbing a bit."

EEEKKK. :eek: There are more fish in the sea (and 388's for sale) in supposedly undamaged condition than to take a chance on one that is possibly damaged. The cost to fix and align one of these can kill the deal many times over. A bit of patience might be in order here......

Back metal extensions guards?? It probably bent the SH** out of the heat sink fins for the power rectifiers is what it did!

And many parts for the 388 are damn near impossible to find.

Thanks.

Its a shame, really- but, yeah, I've already decided that I'm not going to touch it. Poor guy- he's the original owner, babied the machine for years - only to have his sister knock it over in her storage area. And he'd put it there for safe-keeping while he was moving. :rolleyes:

As my mom is fond of saying "It wasn't meant to be..."

Take care,
Chris

Back