Annoying

marcccc

Annoying BR-8 Inquiries

Ok...I have questions I hope someone can answer.
Is there a way to seperate the tracks from the mixer board, once it goes to the br-8? In other words, we record a drum track, the mics are going to the mixer board, we get a mix of everything individually of the drums on the mixerboard..then everything goes into one track on the br-8 and we cant touch anything except for general sound...that makes me sad and frustrated. Is there some other way of recording the drums? Is there some way to seperate the tracks? Also, I don't know why but when the sound is playing back from the mixer board coming from the br-8 , opposed to solely the br-8, the sound is much better. We recorded our last cd hooking up the br-8 to a cd recorder weird thing...I don't know what it is but it records outside things such as that.The sound wasnt good...and was very thin. Is there a way we can play the songs through the mixer board, coming from the br-8, connecting to the the cd-recorder thing? In other words, is there a rca to digital midi thing you can get?
Does any of this make sense to anyone?
We are using a 12 channel peavy 2002 unity mixer board, an mp5 plus powerhead. sp5g p.a. system. about 6 mics (doesnt really matter what they are with this topic) and the br-8.
How did the people who recorded on the br-8 go about doing there drum tracks?
Is there something I'm missing?
Please help me
we start recording next week...and we need to know what we are doing...well...better.

Thanks
Marc

Last edited:
I only used 4 mics because I only had a 4ch mixer, one overhead, kick, one between snare and tom and one at the high-hat, this was mixed down to a stereo pair, the left & right outputs from the mixer went to the left & right line-in on the BR-8. I like to record the drums in stereo so that it sounds somewhat natural.

I hope that you know when you select any input on the BR-8, it tries to apply an effect patch to the inputted signal, here you'll want to de-select the effect patch and record the drums 'dry'. After recording you than can EQ the drum mix, add reverb if you want.

Make sure that the recording level of the drums reach the '12' level mark in the info window, ideally between the 12 & 4 but not above, too hot a signal and you'll hear distortion. And that clip light only blinks at the hardest hit your drummer will make.

Honestly, the BR-8 wasn't designed for the type of recording you're trying to do, it can do the job but you must be creative in your setup. I've been on several CDs and kind of figured it out on recording my band using my BR-8.

Back