Angels

Hey Dave my friend. Nice seeing you here.
Pretty neat. Has that Trans Siberian thing going on. I dig it. Sounds good on the ear buds but I want to put it on my monitors downstairs.

Really nice tune, David - you've communicated joy with this one.

At present levels, it sort of 'features' the bass part - it's really present (which becomes super obvious after it comes back in after bowing out for a while). Is that what you want? I mean, it's a r-e-a-l-l-y nice bass part with a lovely sound, so you can feature it if you want to, but it's those yearning, singing strings that do it for me. I'd probably cut the bass part just a taste. Whatcha think? I have to post this quickly, cuz the more I listen to it, the more I'm getting used to it and liking it. :)

I think it sounds really good. I agree with dobro RE: the bass. I'd turn it down a touch as it is very domineering over the track on the whole. (Although it's sounds great in playing and tone)

Nice tune, thanks for sharing :thumbs up:

Bass parts mentioned. I'm not crazy about that synth'd Ampeg sound. Sorry :{

I'm listening to some imbalance with the drums. At least during the quieter parts, like at the 0:28 mark. There is more kick than hihat or rim click. Sounds more balanced during the main parts of the song, but has a mechanical, robotic feel.

Track Rat mentioned TSO, but I am hearing some ELP references in this too. :)

Thanks for the comments, fellers. Very helpful, I'm in a boomy room and can't judge the bass.

Bass parts mentioned. I'm not crazy about that synth'd Ampeg sound. Sorry :{

I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean that the bass line sounds synthy?

Track Rat mentioned TSO, but I am hearing some ELP references in this too.

My original "inspiration" for this was the 50s song " Sh Boom Sh Boom".

I can't decide if this arrangement is good or terrible. I kind of hate it, but it took too long to scrap it. Good call on the drums BTW, that makes sense.

To my ears the bass is prominant but not dominant.
You do the real/synth blend thing incredibly well David.
This sounds like Sky with a string section - though I suppose they'd have a lot of gut guitar happening too.
I like it.

I'm not sure what that means. Does that mean that the bass line sounds synthy?

Yes, to me it sounds like a casio synth patch or something. I'm referring to the sound of the bass only and not what it is playing. Please don't tell me that is a real bass. :o

You do the real/synth blend thing incredibly well David.

Thanks, Ray. There are 3 violinists on a lot of the melodic stuff, overdubbed. There is also a sample library called "Session Strings Pro" that's geared more for pop and small-scale rather than cinematic, so it's a lot easier to blend

Please don't tell me that is a real bass.
Synth- Scarbee Pre-Bass. Nice synth, but it has plenty of options and I'm not that experienced with it. The entire rhythm section needs work.

Hey David,

The bass part on this is really well done, but I think I agree with the others that it is a tad too loud relative to the rest. Strings and synths and stuff sound good to me. The kit is a little timid sounding in terms of the tone of the kick and snare. I'd want just a little thud to the kick and just a little snap or crack to the snare myself. But my exposure to this kind of material is mostly limited to other recordings of yours I've heard, so obviously I don't have a lot of outside references to draw upon.

Well done my man.

Seems to me the bass needs to be cut back a bit and the kick up so that they work together. But not in the 0:28 part. Funny, that is the place I find the kick at appropriate level myself. Drummers are dicks though, so ignore me. :)

The tune is very cool man! :thumbs up:

Hi Dave - Another great piece. Perfectly executed. I recommend a live drummer, not so much for fills but for tone. Excellent electric violin - just the right amount of dirt....

This is great, the movement and flow is wonderful, but the bass is letting it down. It sounds like a clipped pad with no natural resonance or sustain and contrasts with the rest of the piece because of its lack of flow. It can't be "mixed down", it needs to be fixed to meet the standard of the rest of the piece (which is very high).

Thanks for all the comments. Something very weird happened- for some reason, the track changed from "Angels" to Silent Night". I don't know why, I didn't delete it. Regardless, I appreciate the comments on both tracks and they are very helpful as always.

haha I thought I recognized silent night there... great track! love the occasional skipped beats, and the layering is super lush and full... and I like the bass, sounds good out of my subwoofer!

Back