Angels on Dixboro Road - mix 1

leavings

Hi all,

here's the first post-worthy mix from the new album I'm working on. It's not done, but I think it's ready to be critiqued.

The Poem Adept | Seattle, WA | Folk | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Note that this song is pretty long, and the mix builds slowly, so please don't only listen to the beginning or you won't get the full effect. I'd appreciate general feedback on the song and mix, and if you're up for it, I have a few specific questions:

1. There are three spots for solos, at around 3:00, 4:40, and during the long outro starting near 6:30. The first one has a mandolin solo, but I haven't decided what to put in the second one or outro. What do you think would fit there (both stylistically and mixologically).

2. I don't have a grot box or an easy way to listen to this mix in mono. Can someone with this capability tell me what they hear in contrast to the stereo mix?

3. Did you notice the drums? Was it in a good way? I used pretty basic sounds and rhythms and it sounds fine to me, but the drums don't seem to add anything exciting to the track. Anyone have suggestions for how I could liven them up a bit and make them a more important part of the song?

4. Is the fadeout too long? Keep in mind that this song will likely end the album.

5. I'm thinking of the name "Angels on Dixboro Road"; what do you think of that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Back