Angels Fall-the mastered version!

joeym

Hey guys,
a lot of you have heard this one about a year ago. It's the title song of my new CD which is gonna be out in January. This is gonna be the first CD I made that was professionally mastered at finemastering.de. I'm pretty excited about it and I think the ME, Jan, did a great job considering he had to work with the mix of an "amateur" (me.....:D). I'd really like to hear what you think about it.

http://www.box.net/shared/227ktej1c3

I remember the squeaks :D

This is like straight of any album let alone a "homerecorders"...really crystal clear, sounds balanced, spread wide...class

Do you have an A/B of your home mastered version? or the mix you sent them?
...it would be interesting to hear the differences as you do a good job on most of your stuff...but this sounds as "pro" as Id recognise

if its not too nosey did it cost you much to get this album mastered?

sterling work Joe, I think your CD may be my first purchased (and listened to) heavy album :drunk:

joey,

Really nicely done. It's impossible to tell what the ME did, but he didn't ruin your good mix. The performances are professional quality, the mix is tight and wide and balanced. Very high quality all around. :cool:

I remember the squeaks :D

This is like straight of any album let alone a "homerecorders"...really crystal clear, sounds balanced, spread wide...class

Do you have an A/B of your home mastered version? or the mix you sent them?
...it would be interesting to hear the differences as you do a good job on most of your stuff...but this sounds as "pro" as Id recognise

if its not too nosey did it cost you much to get this album mastered?

sterling work Joe, I think your CD may be my first purchased (and listened to) heavy album :drunk:

Thanx Keith!
Jan wanted to do stem mastering, not because the mixes were bad (I know they weren't perfect....), but to be able to have control on the different parts,. The other songs sound even better....;)

Thanx Keith!
Jan wanted to do stem mastering, not because the mixes were bad (I know they weren't perfect....), but to be able to have control on the different parts,. The other songs sound even better....;)

so this was done with stem mastering?

is it like bussed stems you send?

cant wait to hear the rest :)

joey,

Really nicely done. It's impossible to tell what the ME did, but he didn't ruin your good mix. The performances are professional quality, the mix is tight and wide and balanced. Very high quality all around. :cool:

Thanx man! I honestly feel like he took some kind of magic polish and made my mixes shine. First time I'm actually enjoying listening to my mixes. Yes, mastering does make a difference!:)

so this was done with stem mastering?

is it like bussed stems you send?

cant wait to hear the rest :)

Yeah, basically what I sent him was a complete mix first and then 5 stems for each song, drums, bass, guitars, voices and the rest, each track with it's own effects and stuff.

I do remember this from before, but not well enough to A/B them in my mind or anything. When the guitars first come in it really sounds very full and polished. Vocals and everything gel together really well.

Were the differences dramatic to you when it first came back from mastering? I mean, I know you are happy with the results and everything, but was it like night and day, or just a subtle adjustment kind of thing? I don't know that I've ever heard homerecording-type music (which this doesn't even really sound like) that had been professionally mastered before and am just curious...nice job :).

WWOWW!
My rsponse to your mix was WOW because you did a grand job but this is has extra Ws on it.
Certainly does sound "pro" in the good sense.
If the ME stem mastered then did he actually do a slight remix as well? Having had the deconstructed parts then reconstructing with the mastering he may have done.
I look forward to purchasing another piece of Mizzi magic.

I do remember this from before, but not well enough to A/B them in my mind or anything. When the guitars first come in it really sounds very full and polished. Vocals and everything gel together really well.

Were the differences dramatic to you when it first came back from mastering? I mean, I know you are happy with the results and everything, but was it like night and day, or just a subtle adjustment kind of thing? I don't know that I've ever heard homerecording-type music (which this doesn't even really sound like) that had been professionally mastered before and am just curious...nice job :).

Pete, my first reaction was surprise....so much of it that I couldn't tell at first if I thought it was good or not, because I'd been used to listening to my unmastered mixes. Then I started comparing with commercial CDs and I felt the quality comes close. Not as good definitely, cos it wasn't recorded in million-dollar studios and mixed by a professional, but the mastering kind of polished it and made it sound real full and punchy.
Thanx for the comments!

Awesome. That's what I hoped you;d say.

If I ever get really consistent at mixing and have enough tunes to fill a cd, I'd pay someone just to experience what you did upon first playing it back. Cool.

WWOWW!
My rsponse to your mix was WOW because you did a grand job but this is has extra Ws on it.
Certainly does sound "pro" in the good sense.
If the ME stem mastered then did he actually do a slight remix as well? Having had the deconstructed parts then reconstructing with the mastering he may have done.
I look forward to purchasing another piece of Mizzi magic.

Well, yes I suppose in a way it is a remix, though not entirely. It's more of getting the levels right on the 5 tracks, and then doing what needs to be done on each one. I honestly have very little idea what an ME does, but I really do think it makes a difference.
Thanx Ray, you're a part of this too.;)

Sounds great to me, very full, punchy. Maybe if I compared it directly to pro I'd hear a difference, but this sounds as close to a commercial release as I think you could get.

Wow dude. I have to say that I like everything that you do and it is always really impressive, but this is a really great sounding track. You are the man!!!

I too would love to hear the A/B for it. Just to compare.

Have a good one.

Trump

Back