...And the October Song

CrankyOne

Ok. I'm posting this song a little too soon, but I'm so damn impatient. I'm still gonna call it "October Song" :D I hope my "kinda-flu" didn't affect the mix. At least not in a bad way. I guess this is the height of my pretentiousness, huh? A trilogy or something... I don't know. They don't link to each other that well though. Just the names... This is an instrumental (surprise :D ) and I used one three year old riff here. See if you can guess which of the riffs is the old one :D

Here's the link:

Sounds great cranky. It's really bringing in Halloween for me :eek: ;)
You've got some eighties metal influences, eh? I love this kind of stuff. No mix comments, it all sounds good to me. I'm diggin' the drum lines, they'd be great if someone was playing them on a kit. Nice job :D

Crankin'

Tight as can be!

Very sweet!

Drums must have been alot of work!
Organ is a nice touch! What do you use?

Nice job.

Joel

jcmm said:
Crankin'

Tight as can be!

Very sweet!

Drums must have been alot of work!
Organ is a nice touch! What do you use?

Nice job.

Joel

The drums ARE alot of work, even though I didn't actually play them :D The drum programming takes some time, but anyway... The organ is a windows plugin called B4.

And Barometer: I haven't heard any Halloween, so I don't know about that 80's metal thing. I like Maiden, Priest, Metallica & Megadeth and they rocked in the 80's (and later too :D ). Maybe it's that one solo part that sounds kinda 80's somehow. I dunno.

The organ is a windows plugin called B4.

Who manufactures the plugin? Also what do you mix with, if you don't mind me asking!!!?!?

..........AW what the hell.......What do you use for your Pseudospeeddemoncrankitalltohell guitar sound??

Last questions!!! :p ;) :D

Thanks Cranky, I gotta spin this again!

Joel

jcmm said:

Who manufactures the plugin? Also what do you mix with, if you don't mind me asking!!!?!?

B4 is by "Native Instruments". I mix with Cakewalk Sonar.

..........AW what the hell.......What do you use for your Pseudospeeddemoncrankitalltohell guitar sound??

I plug my guitar into a cheap distortion/effects pedal Zoom505-II and then I plug it into my computer. Then I use Revalver Amp Simulator plugin on Sonar to make it sound better.

hey Crank, my ears are pretty muffled right now, and I am running a high fever, but I can tell this is excellent.. I have all your tunes and I'm going to lay vocals to some of them if I live through this cold.. You have your sound down.. I can't even offer any suggestions because it sounds great right now.. When I'm not sick, I will look for something to complain about, but for now, I can say I love this.. I'm glad your posting lots of tunes lately.. Keep em' comin'!

it's ready for vocals! :eek:

I'll come back to this when I stop sweating..

Holy shred machine batman..
I love the way that quiet guitar pokes it's head out just to get swamped in again and again. Just when you thought it couldnn't get any crazier...
Mixwise, sounds great. I'd only point out the tempo change seems to long of a slide to me...not the way anyone would play it.

Panning guit. drives me crazy here. Nice outro, smooth growly fade...a definite A...94%. But I'm no professor.

JAKE

I dont say this often, but this song smokes! I love progressive Rock. The mix sounds good on my system.... Great drum programming. The guitar tones were good. I have no complaints.
I should of keeped my damn Zoom! Good work.....
Myx

cranky...I'll just combine all the above comments, and say I echo them all to this point. Your a little shred machine from Viking land...eh? The uptempo has the old Deep Purple sound to me. Very solid shit, mister....

and another thing...I gotta think that all those dudes that "battle" it out in the mic forum...equipment forums...spouting "THIS is the best piece of gear"..."THIS is how you record"...need to come to THIS forum and hear some of the stuff that is rolling out of here as of late. I would think that this song would buckle the knees of all those that "wish"(read...think) they could get a sound as good as this... Great job man...keep it up.

oh yeah...I even dug the amp buzz you hear...right in the beginning... You hear that stuff on Van Halen records all the time.. let's ya know someone is actually playing...eh?

Killer tone through that Zoom man......who needs mics anyway?

Great playing all the way through and a stellar arrangement.

Top notch Instrumental Rock Guitar.

CrankyOne said:

And Barometer: I haven't heard any Halloween, so I don't know about that 80's metal thing. I like Maiden, Priest, Metallica & Megadeth and they rocked in the 80's (and later too :D ). Maybe it's that one solo part that sounds kinda 80's somehow. I dunno.

Sorry Cranky, I meant the holiday Halloween, like October, not the band. And by 80s metal I meant what you listed there as influences. Sorry for the confusion :D

Really good. I use the B4 too, love it.

But no vocals on your piece. That's for me the only thing missing and I listned to more songs from our community where the singing is missing.
All great composers but where are the vocals????

Great piece bro-guitar sound rocks and the playing is excellent-the drum track sounds like a hell of alot of work-very good-alot of changes in there-the tune covers alot of ground. I like this better than most of the 80's metal i used to listen to-great job....

Barometer said:

Sorry Cranky, I meant the holiday Halloween, like October, not the band. And by 80s metal I meant what you listed there as influences. Sorry for the confusion :D

Damn... I feel like a moron now :D I should have remembered it's called "Helloween"... well it's ok, I guess...

B.SABBATH said:
hey Crank, my ears are pretty muffled right now, and I am running a high fever, but I can tell this is excellent.. I have all your tunes and I'm going to lay vocals to some of them if I live through this cold.. You have your sound down.. I can't even offer any suggestions because it sounds great right now.. When I'm not sick, I will look for something to complain about, but for now, I can say I love this.. I'm glad your posting lots of tunes lately.. Keep em' comin'!

it's ready for vocals! :eek:

I'll come back to this when I stop sweating..

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to this even when you're sick. At the moment I'm sick too. Probably not as sick as you, though, from what I understand (and I mean this on a pure physical level, you know :D ).

jake-owa said:
Holy shred machine batman..
I love the way that quiet guitar pokes it's head out just to get swamped in again and again. Just when you thought it couldnn't get any crazier...

Yeah, I was struggling to get some idea down for that part, since it sounded kinda hollow so I just made that idea on the spot. It's not probably the best of ideas, but at least it worked somehow.

Mixwise, sounds great. I'd only point out the tempo change seems to long of a slide to me...not the way anyone would play it.

I'm not sure if I follow you here. There are no tempo changes, but you probably mean the changes between straight 4/4 and the triplet feel there.

Panning guit. drives me crazy here. Nice outro, smooth growly fade...a definite A...94%. But I'm no professor.

I hope it drives you crazy in a good way :D Thanks for using your ears on this one.

And thanks for Myx62, mixmkr, Kramer, smilestoned & Stratomaster too for compliments and views on the song. I hope I didn't forget anybody.

Back