...and the December song

CrankyOne

Ok, I just got December Song finished. I didn't sleep on the mix, so there might be some problems. I'm pretty happy with the whole song. Just let me know what you think of the whole mix and the song and all, ok?

I LIKE the reverby, clean guitar in your intro this time...and losing the reverb was cool. Medium on the vinyl scratching sound.

Madman at the piano....hair a flying... kinda slipping in the samicide mode there dude.. WATCH OUT!!

This is nice music, but for many, they are going to say it is a looong kinda intro until something happens. any moment now, I am expecting the wall of sound AC/DC guitars to kick in.... 3 mins and counting. I like it...still cool....but it getting a little long. Or is this the song? No faults, sonically, ...or playing wise. I am starting to question what's going to happen next. 4 mins.....
This must be the looong play version. Still digging it. AHHHHHH!!!! 4:30 is the MAGIC NUMBER! kick butt, dude. Your shit has improved 500% since you first started posting here. Friggin damn LOUD mix too. (how ya do dat?)!!

This is like an epic...eh?:)
More "space" and reverby than your other stuff it seems. And to ME, it is an improvement. Great recording quality. As good as the music is, that would be the only downfall. Just what is going to happen, where is it going...song form (not that you need any), why do you play that section after that section, are you trying to say something...or just some REALLY neat music passages...??

8 min + .....long song too!;)
and I am still here!!!!......take that as a compliment. and ready to hear the rest of this monster.

all I can say is you are a pussy like me and don't sing!! phew!!...I'm not the only one... except your music kicks butt...mines from days of yore.....

nice fade into reverb.... thunder rumbling?? can't tell...but it shakes da woofers....

nice stuff cranky...

oh...that is rain. need better thunder (or a wind screen)

nice composition so far Mr. C... violins sound good... ah... there's that wall of guits... 4:33... clean, yet powerfull.. nice separation, even in the busiest of parts... everything is crisp, like you could take a bite out of it... from snare, to guits, to lead guits, to bass, to cymbals... the guit sound after 6:00 is very immediate... like it's doing the talking... ahh... some fretboard tapping (see that's coming back in, again...)

Flutes are an excellent touch, and give this another dimension, as did the glissando on the chimes.... breaking glass... then it gets loud... very impressive how you manage to keep that kick drum so present in a loud mix. Sam is going to chizz all over himself :eek: ;)

Bad gas would like the marching-like drums near the end...

Excellent mix... the crispy parts are extremely well done... hmmm... christmas carolers at the end? Hehe ;) Nice touch for december.

mixmkr said:
all I can say is you are a pussy like me and don't sing!

BULLS*** :) Seem to remember a one Mr. mix-mkr singing/covering a tune by a one Mr. samicide... something about waking up in the same F*CKEEEEEEEEEEEN PLACE :)

Chad

I'm gonna just ramble while I'm listening....

I like the progession / arrangement ... the flange on the guitar is maybe a bit much after a couple of minutes (strictly my opinion) ....I really do like the piano - it fits in nicely in and out as it does... violins fit nicely but sound a bit artificial ...whoa.... 4:41 ...excellent ...the drums just made me realize the 6/4 timing (very cool). Drums sound very nice - I'm assuming it's a drum machine, but it sounds convincing and you did a hell of a job programming it (or looping it). ...holy crap, 7:56 kicks my ass - man you have a lot going on here, but it all fits in very well. I liked the organ - would've liked to hear a bit more of it. Making good use of sound effects CD's :) ok, the reverby string/pads at the end sound very cool, very dreamy.

Overall - excellent piece of work. I don't think I've ever made it through an MP3 review that long, but it was worth it. Great job!

okay... who's the moron

...that dropped this from a solid 5 to a 3?! Probably a MORON that didn't listen to the WHOLE THING :mad: Too stupid to realize that it gets HEAVY after 4:30....

Last edited:
I love it.. I download everything you put up before I even listen because I know it will be great.. I hear some very familiar keyboard sounds in this.. I like this A LOT.. I probably would have added more stuff in the beginning, but that's just preference.. Do you play or program the piano parts?.. this is as long as 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner.' I really like this one..

epic! great sound, recording.. keep em' comin'!

I will be laying vocals to one of your songs very soon, but it might not be the original one we talked about! :eek:

Seanmorse79 said:
I'm gonna just ramble while I'm listening....

I like the progession / arrangement ... the flange on the guitar is maybe a bit much after a couple of minutes (strictly my opinion) ....I really do like the piano - it fits in nicely in and out as it does... violins fit nicely but sound a bit artificial ...whoa.... 4:41 ...excellent ...the drums just made me realize the 6/4 timing (very cool). Drums sound very nice - I'm assuming it's a drum machine, but it sounds convincing and you did a hell of a job programming it (or looping it). ...holy crap, 7:56 kicks my ass - man you have a lot going on here, but it all fits in very well. I liked the organ - would've liked to hear a bit more of it. Making good use of sound effects CD's :) ok, the reverby string/pads at the end sound very cool, very dreamy.

Overall - excellent piece of work. I don't think I've ever made it through an MP3 review that long, but it was worth it. Great job!

B.SABBATH said:
I love it.. I download everything you put up before I even listen because I know it will be great.. I hear some very familiar keyboard sounds in this.. I like this A LOT.. I probably would have added more stuff in the beginning, but that's just preference.. Do you play or program the piano parts?.. this is as long as 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner.' I really like this one..

epic! great sound, recording.. keep em' comin'!

I will be laying vocals to one of your songs very soon, but it might not be the original one we talked about! :eek:

I programmed everything except guitars. I was also thinking of adding stuff to the beginning, but since there was little stuff here and there I didn't want to go overkill with it.

And be my guest on the vocals :D

[/B]

Thanks guys, once more. I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to this, since it's not a short song. And forget about the ratings already :D

-EDIT-

crap! I somehow managed to delete my other replys...

holy shit.... an epic of biblical proportions. I wasn't too wild about any of the guitar sounds up until about 4:00 when the acoustic and electric were doubled? Very Diary of Madman-ish. Tasty... That was so fucking sweet. And then the artillary comes in. Very nice. 7:50 were it goes Metallica style was killer.

What program are you using for the piano? Soundfonts for the sounds as well? Maybe try some humanizing on the piano sequences. I'm guessing you step recorded them or don't have a midi controller with after-touch etc. Nice composition on the keys though. They just felt not quite up to par with the excellence of everything in the piece.

All of the sound effects were pretty cool too. I justlove the sound of glass breaking.

mixmkr said:
I LIKE the reverby, clean guitar in your intro this time...and losing the reverb was cool. Medium on the vinyl scratching sound.

The beginning effects is supposed to be somebody walking on snow, if you're talking about the vinyl scratching there.

Madman at the piano....hair a flying... kinda slipping in the samicide mode there dude.. WATCH OUT!!

IF I was to copy somebody, at least I'm copying THE MAN :D

This is nice music, but for many, they are going to say it is a looong kinda intro until something happens. any moment now, I am expecting the wall of sound AC/DC guitars to kick in.... 3 mins and counting. I like it...still cool....but it getting a little long. Or is this the song? No faults, sonically, ...or playing wise. I am starting to question what's going to happen next. 4 mins.....
This must be the looong play version. Still digging it. AHHHHHH!!!! 4:30 is the MAGIC NUMBER! kick butt, dude. Your shit has improved 500% since you first started posting here. Friggin damn LOUD mix too. (how ya do dat?)!!

Yeah, it drags and it's definitely for everybody.

This is like an epic...eh?:)
More "space" and reverby than your other stuff it seems. And to ME, it is an improvement. Great recording quality. As good as the music is, that would be the only downfall. Just what is going to happen, where is it going...song form (not that you need any), why do you play that section after that section, are you trying to say something...or just some REALLY neat music passages...??

Yeah, the noodling can be too long. I got excited on the neat passages myself. I basically wrote the clean passages on the spot. I worked out a nice little picking pattern and did a quick rough recording of that and moved onto the next little part. That's how the whole clean parts developed in about an hour.

all I can say is you are a pussy like me and don't sing!! phew!!...I'm not the only one... except your music kicks butt...mines from days of yore.....

I was pondering whether to sing or not on this. Of course I couldn't sing, since my bro's in the house all the time. Geez, I've got to get him outta the house, even for a few hours...

nice fade into reverb.... thunder rumbling?? can't tell...but it shakes da woofers....

Should be "winter wind" or something.
[/B]

participant said:

Excellent mix... the crispy parts are extremely well done... hmmm... christmas carolers at the end? Hehe ;) Nice touch for december.

Yeah, I put a demonic subliminal message at the end. It's "White Christmas" backwards :D
[/B]

JR#97 said:
holy shit.... an epic of biblical proportions. I wasn't too wild about any of the guitar sounds up until about 4:00 when the acoustic and electric were doubled? Very Diary of Madman-ish. Tasty... That was so fucking sweet. And then the artillary comes in. Very nice. 7:50 were it goes Metallica style was killer.

Yeah, Diary of a Madman was exactly what I was thinking. And when I listen to the thing myself, it sounds a lot like the game Diablo.

What program are you using for the piano? Soundfonts for the sounds as well? Maybe try some humanizing on the piano sequences. I'm guessing you step recorded them or don't have a midi controller with after-touch etc. Nice composition on the keys though. They just felt not quite up to par with the excellence of everything in the piece.

All of the sound effects were pretty cool too. I justlove the sound of glass breaking.

I'm using soundfonts, yeah. I could have gotten a bit more punchier piano sound, but I liked to keep the sound warm and fuzzy at the clean parts mostly. (what an excuse :D )

:D :D :D

Haven't the time this deserves right now.......
Can't wait till after work !!!!

(jcmm impersonates "Flounder" from Animal House)

"Ohh boy is this Great !!! "

Seanmorse79 said:
..wasn't me - I gave it a 4 (I rarely give out 5's, and this one was a tough call).

Don't sweat it Sean :) Your 4 + 5 would have been 4.5, but 4+5+1 was 3.33 :( It would be cool to find this 1-star posting jerk and run him out of here...

Very nice recording/playing. The intro guitar went on a bit long for me, some neat changes though.

The end is kicking ass. Holy hell.

Back