And so I enter the world of home recording.

StylusEpix

Today, I have purchased basic recording equipment: a cheap Behringer mixer and a Studio Projects B1 mic. With the mixer at the center of it all, I wired up the mic, along with headphones, a home theater receiver, stereo speakers and two synth keyboards. And tonight, I used a condenser mic for the first time.

I am amazed at the sensitivity of it: the quietest noise is amplified loud enough for it to be heard clearly... As I walked around, with closed-ear headphones relaying whatever the microphone in my hand picked up, I felt awe in front of so many new sounds, previously so faint their nature could only be guessed at. Technology now revealed them to me in their full glory.

Now I am left with questions. I see that a long path of learning lies ahead of me, but I cannot yet see what it is, or where it will lead me. I must make the best of it, and it is here that I seek guidance.

I wish to improve my speech and voice - and to put them to use. I have no desire to make a career in audio or acting, but I want to gain the skills necessary to record voiceovers, narration and live presentation. These skills are split between the technical and the artistic; and for me, the techniques are only a way to enable the art.

Thus I will seek technical advice. I haven't yet much to inquire about, but more questions will surely come. Can I unplug a mic from the mixer while phantom power and volume are on, or should I turn off and mix down beforehand ? Also, are monitor speakers any different than normal speakers; I'm using two good home-theater speakers and an home-theater amp, am I missing anything from what monitors have to offer ?

But the advice I desire most is not technical; rather, it is about the basic principles of voice acting. I have no teacher, and may yet hire one in the future, but not now. I wish to learn the basics on my own - and I don't want to pay 500$ for a set of 2 CDs. So, are there any good ressources on the Internet ? Or could you recommend any books ?

Or just a kind word and your own recording mantra. Anything can help.

Oh my.

I've got the wrong forum, haven't I ? Should've posted in Newbies, but I've just now noticed it exists.

Anyhow, hope you still can help me.

Thanks.

Turn phantom power off before you unplug anything and wait a good 30 seconds to a minute. Same goes for turning it on. Plug it in first. Proper monitoring speakers (set up correctly) will allow you to hear more frequencies and just an overall better picture of what you've recorded. There are many good resources on the internet, this message board being one of them. Search the board for websites! The microphone sticky may help you some too, check in that forum.

The general idea behind not using home theater speakers to monitor yourself is that they have a tendency to color your sound ( passive boosting of freq. without your control), thus, your final mix will not be exactly what you mixed down, but mearly a representation of your implied mix with the addition of speaker colorization. A good pair of studio monitors offer a flatter and more palettable sound. Spend the CASH.

Back