and now what

bigskee

I guess there's a time when we all want something new. I was just wondering why some of you decided to keep some of your older keyboards when upgrading to that newer board. And for those of you with multiple boards, what are the benefits you've found in having two or three different boards?

When you get a keyboard you're used to, and it has useful sounds, and a familiar action, you tend to stick with those sounds and that action.

Sometimes, the resale value has dropped such that you decide to hang onto the box.

Eventually, rare boxes become useful for their unique sounds. And some sounds can only be made by some synths. For example, on one session a long time ago, the producer wanted an explosion timed with a snare hit.

The producer had DX7s and all manner of digital synths. But we needed a synth with a noise generator.

Out came the Arp Odyssey - perfect for the job.

Each synth has its own characteristic filter sound - which is why if you record using just one synth, your recordings get "filter fatigue" - a buildup of frequencies with a similar formant. Same goes for soft synths. Cheap? Yes. Sound as good as their hardware counterparts? In some cases, yes, but in most cases, you too can sound like everyone else with the same synth. And every track begins to sound the same after a while. The uniformity is annoying. Variety is the key.

I find that if I use a variety of synths and effects the individual character of each shines through.

Just because a synth is new doesn't mean the sounds are better. Some synths have a distinct sound that you want to keep. Another factor is that all synths are limited in their polyphony (number of individual notes that can be played) and multitimbral capabilities (number of individual sounds they can play at once). If you want to have very lush arrangments then you need a lot of synths to pull it off.

Sounds Man... SOUNDS!

I have a lot of keyboards...

- Most of the other posters are right... I have some modules that sound great and that's one of the main reasons I keep modules around...

- Some synths I use are fantastic for drums but totally suck in the string section... Just like people's ability to play - Synths have special characteristics created unconciously by the manufacturer that allow them to perform some sounds better than others..

- Another reason is that if you use a heavy duty sequencing program (I use Logic 6)... Removing one of your long standing "staples" in your studio in favor of another one can cause major headaches for the way your system operates...

- Most of the time I keep sound modules for which I enjoy the sounds... And I try not to buy something unless I'm sure I'm going to use it - OR I'm going to use it outside my main MIDI system setup...

When I look back on the boxes I owned and sold for one reason or another it makes me want to cry. Almost without an exception, I wish I had held onto those old units.

Now I promise myself that I won't do that anymore. Only if I really dislike a synth for some reason (too hard to program, bad UI, poor quality, etc) will I actually replace it. Otherwise, I'll keep it around. Most every instrument has its niche.

When I look at new products, I'm thinking whether it can fill some hole in my arsenal. Do I really need another analog modeling digital synth? Right now, I'm pretty satisfied with my set-up. The only thing I'm looking to add might be a MIDI controller for working with soft-synths.

Ted

Kewl...

Those are some classic vintage stuff you've got there...

- Sometimes I still wish I had my DX11 or TX81z...

Still have my Ensoniq ESQm, though...
And the "classic" K1...
(Who hasn't owned one of those puppies! hehe!)...

I also just now remembering my 2 very first keyboards.

A CRUMAR ORCHESTRATOR (Very nice anolog strings) made in Italy and a wurlitzer electric piano. Both were run into a Sun 4 channel mixer into a Leslie speaker. Man, I wish I still had that Leslie just for home or studio use.

Well, if we're going down the nostalgia trail...

My first synth was a EML 101 which came out about the same time as the original Minimoog only it had one more oscillator and could even produce 4 note chords. It was actually a pretty cool little instrument and I wish I had kept it. Other things me or one of my band mates owned; an Arp odyssey, a Fender Rhodes Stage piano (I forget the model, but it was the 88 key version), a Hammond (I think it was an C3), a Wurlitzer, I had a neighbor who bought a DX7 when they first came out and had fun with that. More recently, I had a TB303 which I never cared for particularly (made a nice profit on that one!) I know there were a few others that escape me right now.

Those were good times! :)

Ted

Ahh....

Ahh the original Fender Rhodes...
Weighed about 5,000 pounds as I recall!!!
Especially the 88 key jobbie...

First synth I ever owned - And wish I still had - Was the Akai AX60...
Lots of Chracter... Did a killer B3 simulation.. Awesome stuff...

I remember my first electric piano. Up I was about 15 years old. Up until then I had only had a Farfisa Organ with, get this, an Ampeg B-25 amp. Now, I don't really care that the Farfisa is gone although it would have been novel to have around but that Ampeg B-25 was a kick ass bass amp that I truly wish I had kept. It was like having a dual B-15. It had double the power of the B-15, lots of tubes, two 15 inch speakers...man was that thing great for bass.

Anyway, my father's freind's son was going off to college and no longer wanted to play music. He had one of the original Fender Rhodes suitcase models with the Silver top. It was great...really great. Eventually I traded it for a stage model becuase of transportation problems. Frankly, it did nothing to help the transportation since portability in those days was a very subjective term.

I wish I never got rid of that thing, I wish I did not sell my C3, I wish I did not sell my clavinett. I wish I did not sell my Arp Odysey, Moog Source, Roalnd Super Jupiter, and, well, everything else I don't care much about except this really great Harmonium I once had which, for the life of me, I cannot recall what happened to it.

So, to every other keyboard player that regrets selling his vintage babies, Here's to Ya!

Welllllllll.......I may be reunited with an old friend. I saw a web ad from a local Mom and Pop music store that said it had an ARP Odessy for sale. I called them up today and they told me it was a typo and that it was an ARP SOLUS! I am going to check it out this afternoon He's asking $99 for it...I will try to talk him down to $75. The book value on this old synth is $300. Well wish me luck!!!!

http://hire_on_the_fly.tripod.com

Back