and my freakin mic quest saga continues...

lend_me_talent

this shit would be a lot easier if I could audition mics, but since thats not an option in my area. I have to badger you folks with questions. Here is my latest:

I want to do vocal and acoustic guitar

Here are my scenarios:

AT 4040- vocals and SP B1 acoustic
AT4040 - vocals and AT3035 acoustic
AT3035 - vocals and 2 603s acoustic
AT3035 vocals and SP B1 acoustic
SP C1 vocals and 2 MK012's acoustic
SP C1 vocals and SP B1 acoustic
RODE NT1 vocals and SP b1 acoustic

Like I said I have no choice, but to buy blind in this area so I ask a LOT of questions here.

Thanks all

Joe Ford

given the list above, how about:

4040 vox and a pair of 603's (or mc012's) for guitar?

that'd be what i'd do out of the list of mics you gave. i'd personally lean towards the 603's since the mc012's simply have a track record of being sketchy without being tried first and since that's not an option for you......

wade

The B-1 rocks for acoustic guitar, room mics, and much more. My only suggestion would be get 2! The you have a stereo pair for overheads and acoustic guitar.

I like the C-1 ok, but got rid of mine because I had a U87. Then I got rid of the U87 because I had a Gefell UMT800. Recently I got rid of the UMT800 because it keeps getting beaten out by, well, the Sennheiser 441, Beyerdynamic M-88, and even the Sm-57 for Vox. The worst part is that my B-1's still sound better on acoustic than even a $2000+ mic like the UMT800.

I didn't realize any of this until I got my RNP and finally figured out what my mics really sounded like. I am sure that one day I'll want my expensive LD condensors back, but for now I am not missing them one bit.

Beez

The AT4040 is a versatile mic. You can use it on acoustic guitar and vocals to good results. If you want to record everything at once then I'd suggest getting a pair or getting AT4040 the AT4040 and a pair of Oktava MK012.

I've owned, sold and/or used every mic on your list for a lot of hours with the exception for the MXL 603s.

mrface2112 said:
given the list above, how about:

4040 vox and a pair of 603's (or mc012's) for guitar?

that'd be what i'd do out of the list of mics you gave. i'd personally lean towards the 603's since the mc012's simply have a track record of being sketchy without being tried first and since that's not an option for you......

wade

That's what I'd do.

I own the AT4040 and want a 2nd one.

I have no confidence in getting a decent pair of Oktava, except from the Sound Room, and that puts the price way up to $659.

I'm going to opt for a pair of Studio Projects C4 for my SDC pair.

and what about a pair of Boemsen UMA 69's? considering their tight low end and massive headroom they would be great on guitar and for vocals i would def go for a U571, can't sink that mike on voices!!!

Back