Analyze This - Better Homes and Gardens (March, 2009) :)

Dr ZEE

Anti-Pro Circles Insider
I went today to Vet. Hospital with one of my dogs, and while waiting decided to kill time by looking into bunch of random magazines on the table.
So I am grabbing a mag, titled as "Better Homes and Gardens" (heh heh...why not? :laughings: ) , and as I am opening the very first page - I see THIS add.... - WOW! :drunk:
So I thought it would be cool to ask all of you guys what your take, a thought , impression (if any) or what not on this whould be, just for fun "discussion".
So as I was leaving and after paying my $600plus bill , on my request, I was "granted" that I year old mag. for FREE :)

I've just made few shots of it for you to "enjoy".

Here they come:

The cover and 'common inside' content of the magazine , it's March 2009 issue:

Attachments

• better homes cover.JPG
    better homes cover.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 89
  • better homes inside.JPG
    better homes inside.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 89
Here's the full two page color add (page 2 and 3 of the mag :) )

Attachments

• real thing full.JPG
    real thing full.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 89
bottom rigth corner zoom:

Attachments

• real thing add right b corner.JPG
    real thing add right b corner.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 89
bottom left corner zoom:

Attachments

• real thing add dsclmr.JPG
    real thing add dsclmr.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 85
zoom into the "REAL THING" there for details:

Attachments

• real thing recorder zoom.JPG
    real thing recorder zoom.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 81
If that’s supposed to be a young Dean Martin they’ve got the wrong freakin reel-to-reel and tape. The tape should be Scotch 111. The reel could be any number of models except the one shown. The base of the microphone stand is also too new for that young of a Dean Martin. They weren’t made like that then.

The eggs in the ashtray/bowl are most likely from chickens employed by Dean Eggs Inc. out of Marshall Wisconsin.

One more thing... I’d really like to see the Barefoot Contessa’s feet... I have a foot fetish. That’s what they call it. IMO, there’s nothing wrong with me at all, it’s just that I recognize women’s legs end at the toes rather than the ankles.

Last edited:
Is that an old Sony auto reverse deck? Looks like there was space left over below the meters for the quad model with 4 meters? They were obviously too cheap to pay the proper royalties to the manufacturer as the name plate was removed...which makes no sense why they opted to give Ampex a free plug?

The whole ad is disturbing though. Who gives a shit about Dean Martin in relation to anyone seriously looking for a flooring product?

They must be snorting some bad shit at the ad agency. :laughings:

Cheers! :)

I think it's pretty awesome. I don't know a thing about dean martin. the guy looks cooler than dean martin. Anyway, pretty interesting. :D

The deck btw looks almost like a combination, otari, teac, studer all in one.

It convinced me enough that I thought I was looking through one of the 60's, 70's ads. That's very cool and even more so in 2010! Thanks Mike. :)

BTW, Dean Martin's cool, a funny talented guy. I remember reading that he used to record vocals while holding a cigarette in one hand and a glass of hard liqueur in another, helping himself to each as the mood struck. :D

gentlemen! You rock! Thanks a bunch for applying the mass of critical knowledge of the universe on the matter :D
I knew it could be a "good food" for a 'reel-head' .heh heh :)

Observing "backgrounds" in hair-size details is one of my time-wasting hobbies... :laughings:

hope to see more thoughts here (anything from technical to philosophical - all welcome!). so far so good :drunk:
btw 1, Tim, HUH! Yeah, the mic stand must be one of those "On-Stage" brand directly from GuitarCenter or something like that. ROFL! :D

btw 2. OTARI and AMPEX 'logos' are TMs .... they simply had to go from a commercial add... huh huh ;) But then again, what the hell do they both do (I mean would do) there in their specific "forms" as presented to begin with , in the name of "looking like real" that is????? hah hah... now, read my signature ;)

...That's very cool ...
Daniel, also, I actually think personally that the add is super cool , forget the "analyze this" part ... :D And especially due to the fact that I kinda' agree with Jeff, that it most likely did not help to sell a single extra piece of fake hard-wood floor panel for the company... lol

What they should have done is have a celebrity or group who was popularly known to be a fake. Milli Vanilli comes to mind! :D

Cheers! :)
hah hah ..good one :D

btw 3, the machine is OTARI MX-55 , link: http://www.otari.com/support/vintage/mx55/index.html
I am not 100% sure, but I believe that this model was introduced in 1987 (according to some web-found docs), and by that time Mr Martin was ...arhhhhh? hmmmmmmm - 70 year old? ;)

Also the way the Dean impersonator is holding the golf club is a bit suggestive... obviously the cheap phallic angle used so often in ads. Is that a putter? I don’t play golf, so I don’t know.

Instead of a reel-to-reel they should have a turntable with a big 10-inch.......... record of the band that plays the blues, well a band that plays the blues.... she just love my big 10-inch.............. record of her favorite blues.

The reels are 10-inch. Maybe they’re really confused and don’t know a turntable from a reel-to-reel. Me thinks its a prop shop error.

That is a cool looking deck IMO.

So, yeah...

At first I honed right into the deck...cool. Then I saw the fella and I thought "Is that Dean Martin?" And then after a closer look at him I thought "Nope...what...is...this...advertising?" And then I saw the slogan. I couldn't keep the chuckle down. I think it was the whole idea of poser flooring and they threw an open-reel deck in as a poorly placed period prop...and then the thought that the whole mess was a two-page spread in BH&G...

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Thanks for the trip, Mike. Animal friend faring well I hope. Our yearling horse has healed up shockingly well from her nasty laceration of a couple months ago, and we have mostly healed from the $500 sticker shock for the "emergent farm call".

Now, read MY signature.

You are all missing the point.

He's supposed to be an imposter. The deck/tape/mic stand is supposed to be newer. The quote is "it only looks like the real thing". If they actually went out and got the real period stuff, then the ad would make no sense. They are selling fake laminate flooring. All that stuff is supposed to be wrong.

FALKEN, I think you are missing my point (of amusement) in that I think the folks that put together the set *think* that the deck is a period piece. I betcha they have no idea that anybody would care or notice about the mic stand or the vintage of the deck...prop master grabbed what they could. They put all the time into the actor. Their POINT is not that it is fake flooring, but that it is GOOD fake flooring (i.e. hard to tell it is fake...) They skimped on some of the props.

Me thinks Falken is being funny, but without smiley emoticons to tip us off. That would ruin the dryness. But even if he is not meaning to be funny, he is being funny, and that's what matters. :)

“It only looks like the real thing.” I’m sure they got the idea from the movie Blazing Saddles when the townspeople recreated the town of Rock Ridge. IMO, not as effective as when Clint Eastwood had the townspeople paint the town red with a “Welcome to Hell” sign at the city limits in the movie High Plains Drifter, but still a lot funnier.

Back