"Analogue" recording

jouannyr

Hello all, I want to get into recording at home, then over the years, expanding into something bigger. I want to start on the good old "analogue" route, and I'd like a rough check-list of what I'll need (I currently have NO GEAR AT ALL - but about $4000 to use). I want to mix/master as well, so I appreciate I'll need a PC for that (?) but that's no problem as I already have a decent PC with the top of the range Creative Labs Sound Card.

Any help would be massively appreciated because I'm a total beginner at this!

Thanks......

Why do you put "Analogue" in "quotes". It makes me wonder what you really "mean". :)

OK, so you have no gear. Well, do you have experience, and in that case, what? Because that determines a lot about what you should get, as does the type of music you want to record.

For analogue recording with your budget, I would recommend you to get a second hand reel-to-reel 8-track, and a nice 16-track mixer (not a Behringer). The 8-track is good if you can inspect before buying, to check for head-wear. Otherwise they are cheap on eBay. You should be able to get away with less that $1000 for those two. Discuss your buys in the Analogue Only forum so you don't buy a dud.

Next step, you need microphones. Preamps are included in the mixer, skip them. What mics and how many depends on what you need to record. Discuss this in the Microphone forum.

Thirdly you need at least one compressor (get an RNC) and you'll need a multi-effect of some sort. A cheap lexicon will do.

All in all, you should be able to have used up only slightly abouve half your budget when you have everything you need. Use the rest of the budget as a backup. You'll need it.

I put the analogue in quotes because I wasn't sure that I could achieve pure analogue with my budget. The only recording experience I have is from recording my band I'm in (Drums, 2 Guitars, Bass, 2 Vocals) all through a 4-track recorder to cassette! I'll be recording heavy rock bands.

I have a BOSS Compression pedal that I use whilst gigging with my band, do you think that would do as my Compression?? Also, with the multi-effects thing, I presume this is for things such as reverb etc...????

Many thanks for your reply!

jouannyr said:
I put the analogue in quotes because I wasn't sure that I could achieve pure analogue with my budget.

It's usually cheaper. ;)

I'll be recording heavy rock bands.

OK, add some SM57's and loads of microphone stands to the shopping list. ;)

I have a BOSS Compression pedal that I use whilst gigging with my band, do you think that would do as my Compression??

No. It will do for compressing your guitar/bass, yes, but you need to compress loads of things.

Also, with the multi-effects thing, I presume this is for things such as reverb etc...????

Exactly!

FYI - Computer recording = Digital not analog

Soundblaster = Bottom of the line for recording

You've got a decent budget so you can get a decent system together. If you want a really flexible system I would go with a Mackie 1602 or Soundcraft M12/Alesis HD24/Alesis Masterlink. You can probably get them all used within your budget range.

Ahhh, it's all becoming clearer now! I'm now hunting around for a reel-to-reel 8-track, then I'll move onto the desk, then the mics etc...

The only other aspects that aren't too clear in my head (not a lot is to be honest!) are what to do about playback whilst between takes (i.e. How is the best method of replaying what I've just recorded?)

AND, when it's all recorded, where the hell does it go from there?!?! Obviously, I somehow want the stuff to end up on a CD, but again like I said, I'm a total beginner and I know there are several methods of doing this, none of which I understand enough to do.

Apologies for the stupid question.....

Thanks again!

Hello only me again! Further to my previous post, I've got offers of this load of gear below, for around $1200. How does it sound to you? And my main question, how difficult a task is it to replace the 3 tape heads??? Here goes:

A Tascam 38 - 8 track reel-to-reel recorder (circa 1983). This device is in very good condition, although the 3 tape heads could probably do with changing. It has 1/4" jack inputs, 8 VU meters, and the original instruction manual.

Magnetic 8-track 1/2" tape - 8 reels (mostly full though!)

An Allen+Heath System 8, 16-8 Mk II 16 track analogue mixing desk with 8 track playback and stereo master mix down. This mixing desk has an external power supply, phantom power, XLR and 1/4" inputs and outputs, 8 VU units and 2 VU units for the stereo mixdown. Each input channel has gain, bass, mid-range frequency and gain, treble, long volume sliders, auxilliary send/return knobs and a raft of input/output options. It also has a stereo headphone output and talkback mic input. The desk itself is in good condition although it's missing a few push button knob covers. There is some masking tape residue on the bottom edge of the desk which I was unable to remove. It appears that the studio used this to write down what was recorded on each of the tracks. The original instruction manual is present in good condition. This desk was produced from Mar 1983 to May 1986, although the date in the manual is February 1984.

Also, other odds n ends including a A rack mount BEL BC-3-8T 8 channel noise reduction unit, a A rack mount Yamaha SPX-90II stereo effects unit, and a whole raft of cables and connectors (enough to connect up the entire lot!).

Thanks.

It sounds OK, but not fantastic. Changing heads could be expensive. If they heads had been new, it would have sounded great!

Don't force yourself just to consider analog recording.

Just last week my uncle got me a software recording program (Magix studio). I was blown away.

For years, I insisted that analog was better than digital. I'm not so sure now. I can bounce tracks forever without losing sound quality, but why would I do that when I can have as many tracks as I need? And my music files can be read by any other digital studio-that's a major plus. No messing with heads or buying tape.

If you've got $4000, you could get a top of the line computer, a few excellent mikes, a decent mixer, and a good program, and you'd be set and probably save a good bit of $$.

Last night I was listening to a few different recordings I've made--some older analog, some digital.

I'm sold on digital.

I'd go the PC route over a 20-year-old Tascam any day.

You're gonna be severely limited with 8 tracks. And maintainence on that deck is gonna get to be a pain in the ass quickly.

Ditch the SB card and get at least a Layla or Aarvark converter.

The converters, software, and a decent mixer still leave you over $2000 for a pair of decent mic pres, a few condensors, an RNC compressor, and a multi-FX unit.

Got any monitors???

The converters on the SB are never gonna make it for mastering anything.

Back