analog to digital 414 MK2

Totalage

Hi all- I've searched a bit on this subject, but can't find a concrete answer:
I have some stuff recorded on cassette from my Tascam 414 MKII portastudio. I'd like to mix it digitally, but have no idea how to transfer it over to my computer (I have a mac with newly-purchased Logic and Protools).
What cable(s)/adapter(s) might I need?
Do I need additional software in order to convert the audio to the correct speed (since it plays at a different speed than your typical cassette deck)?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

You are in for a learning curve. What you have is an analog recording, not digital data. It can't be "tranferred", it can only be re-recorded. And, if the speed on the tracks changes at any point, which it usually does on a cassette machine, synching the tracks manually will be nigh unto impossible. All you can do is try. Hopefully, there is a little blank space at the beginning of the tracks. You need a second or two. Record a four beat click at the beginning of all 4 tracks simultaneously. Then record the tracks in real time, into the lines in of your interface, 2 at a time. Make sure they are panned hard left and right- you only want them coming out of one output. Unfortunately, there will probably be some track bleed, that's the world of magnetic tape. Then, in Pro Tools, or whatever software, line up those clicks until they match perfectly. It's a royal pain in the ass. If you had a line out for each of the four tracks and four line ins on your interface, life would be a little easier, but the Tascam can't do that. it has 2 lines out, like the mains of a mixer. Basically, you are asking a Ferrari to eat grass, like your horse used to.-Richie

>Basically, you are asking a Ferrari to eat grass, like your horse used to.

Hm...I guess that's why my lawn is in need of a mow.
Thanks for the input.

Back