Analog to computer - what are my options?

rweiss

I'm currently working on some preamps I've began constructing, and I had figured I'd need to buy a good DAC sometime soon. I was looking into this, and I wanted something reliable and of good quality - such as the Lynx 8-channel solution, but for $2,000, I began to think again. The interface for the Lynx and many other models is also pretty foreign to me (the whole serial I/O). I'm wondering if there are any other options of getting an analog signal (8 channels simultaneously from 8 seperate outputs) into my computer. I previously used the Firepod, but I'm in the process of upgrading. So, are there any other options besides resorting to a DAC in order to get the music to the PC?

Thanks,
Ryan

You are going to need a converter, there is no way around it. The computer only handles digital information, your preamps only output analog.

Any upgrade from the Firepod is going to cost you. I use the MOTU 24 I/O, but that is 3 times more than you need.

I was suspecting that would be the answer. Only thing is if I buy some sort of interface, I'd pretty much only be buying for the converters, and any decent standalone converters are pretty expensive. Anyway, thanks. I'll start saving. :)

-Ryan

Have you considered ADAT?

You'd need an ADAT soundcard for your PC (I use the Hammerfall Light which has two ADAT I/O) and an 8 channel input to ADAT output unit. Behringer do something called the ULTRAGAIN PRO-8 DIGITAL ADA8000 which accepts either mic or line level signals and converts them to ADAT. You may have issues with Behringer gear but I am sure that there are similar beasts out there by other vendors. you could even still use your own pre's rather than using the pre's that Behringer use.

cheers

andy

Hey Andy, thanks for the reply.

I was checking this out, and am pretty sure it is the same as any other digital converter. I am only paying for the conversion. The output interface (whether it be adat, serial, sp/dif, etc) doesn't matter to me. The converters on the Behringer, I am assuming, are not up to par with more professional digital audio converters (such as the Lynx that I mentioned). Though I wish this weren't true, I'm pretty sure it is. Could someone else verify this, or tell me that I'm totally wrong, and that any simple digital converter will sound totally pristine, even Behringer!?

-Ryan

Nope, you are right. Cheap converters don't sound as good as expensive ones. Actually, most converters use the same conversion chip. The difference in sound quality is in the analog path to the chip and the clocking and power suppy.

A single AD chip in the Lynx costs more than all of the AD chips in the Behri combined.

If the Lynx is too spendy check out the Layla3G. Echos' drivers are solid and they use decent chips for converters.

Well there's one thing for sure... my 46 year old ears, after many years of heavy metal and extra loud headphone music, the Behringer A/D convertors in my DDX3216 are certainly up to scratch for me. I'd need to see a graph of some sort to prove to me that the high end stuff is worth paying ten times more for stuff I already have cos I sure as hell can't tell the difference:)

The Echo seems pretty good, but I'd need analog inputs, and I'd like it to be rack-mountable. I know I could just buy converters, but I'd rather keep the signal cleaner. Anyway, thanks for the input. Seems I'll have to save up $2,000. Maybe in the meantime someone will come out with something more ideal! :)

-Ryan

Er, by analog inputs I meant XLR :p. The Lynx went down to $1700. Maybe I can find a nice used one for $1500.

rweiss said:
Er, by analog inputs I meant XLR :p. The Lynx went down to $1700. Maybe I can find a nice used one for $1500.
You don't need xlr, you just need balanced inputs. You can get xlr to 1/4 trs cables for much less than the $700 price difference.

Hmm okay, I thought I would have needed those little adapters with the transformers in them to convert from XLR to line signal. Anyway, if going the Echo route, I'd need an ADAT card in my pci to accept the signal. Would any simple adat card do, or do some do the job better than others? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

I think you are confusing the connectors with the signal they are carrying. The two don't have anything to do with each other. A balanced line level signal is a balanced line level signal no matter what type of connector is used.

The transformers are for connecting a low impedance (mic, for instance) signal to a high impedance (line) input. This is not what you are doing.

If you get the Layla 3G, It comes with a PCI card that makes it work. It is an all-in-one solution. No need to buy anything else.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ECHLAYLA3G

$500 gets you everything you need. They also have firewire interfaces, if you don't have open PCI slots. It's the same basic thing, but it connects to the computer via firewire.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ECHFIRE8

Hmm, so it's essentially a firepod, but with a bit better reputation?

I'm considering it. Thanks Jay!

I don't know what the difference between the firepod and the echo stuff is. Unless the implementation of the Echo is so much better than the firepod, it might not be a big jump.

The RME stuff is supposed to be a step up from the normal stuff, but you are back up in the $1500 range for an ADI-8 pro.

Back