analog tape>computer

ridl

I know this has probably been asked many times before, but what's the simplest way to route my analog tape deck into my computer to record into a digital file?
Thank you in advance.

What you realy need is a mixer with a tape input. Then you can route from the mixer straight to your soundcard, and adjust the levels on the mixer so that it inputs with enough volume but doesn't clip.

Alternatively, you could try finding some kind of adapter to go from you tape deck's rca out to whatever kind of imput your soundcard has - probably TRS 1/4" or 1/8". And Hopefully the deck will have enough level.

The level from a standard tape deck is line level. A cable with an RCA pair on one side and a 1/8" stereo miniplug is all you need if you have a standard consumer soundcard or sound hardware built in to the motherboard. Oh, and some recording software.

P.S. If ridl is not a username that's a urban respelling of "riddle," and is perhaps your last name, by any chance are you related to the terrific jazz pianist James Ridl?

I'm still a newbie, but the other posts were not too clear to me (being an old newbie) so I will explain how I do it. I come out of my cassette deck with an RCA line and use an adapter that goes from RCA to 1/8". Plug it in to your line in on your computer. I then record the song/signal using Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) and change to a wave file. I use Goldwave to compress, eq, noise reduction, etc. When I get it where I want it I save it and then open it with Audacity (which accepts vst plugins, goldwave does not) which is totally free. I use Audacity to add effects (goldwave's reverb sucks). I have had great success enhancing cassettes this way.

setup

thats a good setup, but instead of going rca to rca to rca to miniplug, you can get a single adapter instead of 2. a single cable that goes from dual rca to mini (or 1/4" depending on your sound card setup, most likely you have 1/8"). the less adapters and what-not you have in your chain the less "line noise" you will acquire. Plus it's cheaper to just buy the one adapter! If you already have the 2 then thats even cheaper though :), and i'm not sure the signal will be audibly of a lesser quality since it's only one more peice and going over a very short distance. Reverb is a good idea on older tapes, sometimes you can use subtle effects to really bring out the instruments....

dlv

Back