Analog Reverb Unit

Here's a wacko thought on getting a hall reverb without access to a hall....

How about an analog-digital time-accelerated echoic chamber reverb. You build an echo chamber (or just use a bathroom) and play back an audio sample at several times the normal speed. Use a custom microphone and small speaker with an extremely fast slew rate so that you can reproduce the ultrasonic frequencies needed. Slow down the resulting audio at the end.

Thoughts? :D

dgatwood said:
Here's a wacko thought on getting a hall reverb without access to a hall....

How about an analog-digital time-accelerated echoic chamber reverb. You build an echo chamber (or just use a bathroom) and play back an audio sample at several times the normal speed. Use a custom microphone and small speaker with an extremely fast slew rate so that you can reproduce the ultrasonic frequencies needed. Slow down the resulting audio at the end.

Thoughts? :D

Yep - it would actually work. You could use 4" speakers, and make the rooms of various sizes if you wanted to do a couple of them at once.

Tim

thickfreakness said:
yeah, I'm just trying to achieve the best reverb possible. I plan on using room mics. But I was just wondering other options. How would you position the room mics? Pointing at the wall?
The 'best reverb possible' is only achieveable when you record in the best room for the instrument and record it with the best mics for the job placed in the best way possible. However, shipping a drumset to 12 different rooms around the world to do an albume gets a little expensive. A TC electronic M-one will be much cheaper in the long run. (and better sounding)

Danelectro made a spring reverb unit not too long ago... I've seen brand new units on eBay for $150... might be worth looking into if you want a new, self-contained, ready-to-plug-in spring reverb. It even has a place on the chassis where you can whack it with your foot for the "crashing springs" effect.

Regarding eBay : buyer beware. ;)

SonicAlbert said:
Of course, those Alesis and Roland units are not analog, they are digital processors. As sillyhat said, for analog reverb you'll be talking chamber, plate or spring.

I've always been interested in plate reverbs, they can sound very good. Kind of big, heavy, and bulky though.

damn your right BUT did revox or AKG do a huge monster of a spring

& I suppose?????????? it would be humanly possible to build a plate verb..........

Sillyhat said:
The 'best reverb possible' is only achieveable when you record in the best room for the instrument and record it with the best mics for the job placed in the best way possible. However, shipping a drumset to 12 different rooms around the world to do an albume gets a little expensive.

yes but taking your monitors and multitrack somewhere - playing back the drums - and micing up the room is relatively cheap. try it! it's basically a chamber ...with todays portible gear it ain't that hard...i'm doing this for a band's drums next month as my old place was small and they're lookin larger than what we got...

done it before and it works out pretty well...i saw bob clearmountain's chamber on his mixthis page and thought - "hell... i can do that!"

Mike

bigtoe said:
yes but taking your monitors and multitrack somewhere - playing back the drums - and micing up the room is relatively cheap. try it! it's basically a chamber ...with todays portible gear it ain't that hard...i'm doing this for a band's drums next month as my old place was small and they're lookin larger than what we got...

done it before and it works out pretty well...i saw bob clearmountain's chamber on his mixthis page and thought - "hell... i can do that!"

Mike
But you are still wandering around the globe, getting permission to use a room, etc... or, you could twist a couple of knobs at 2:00am in your own studio.

I'm just thinking that this guy is getting caught up in the 'analog is always better' thing. It really isn't always true. Analog is just different.

Back