Analog recording? Recording through the boss RC-3 loop station please help!

Elison

I'm recording my band through the RC-3 loop station. It has three hours of recording time. It has mono and stereo inputs.

My current set up is two sure sm58 microphones. I have one mic by the snare and hi hat pointed towards the toms. And one by the kick. From there I point the guitar amp and bass amp at the kick microphone. I have both microphones running into a separate amp and from there to the RC-3. I have no mixer.

My question is what should I do to yield the best results? As far as mic positioning and so on.

My amps are an old Yamaha and a peavey classic chorus 130

I the middle of the room?

Is it possible to use stereo inputs without a mixer? I thought it would fry the pedal for some reason. I put them by the drums mainly because if I don't the mics don't pick up the drums as well. I'm just using the amp to boost the mics to get a full sound.

I recorded years ago using 2 SM57s into a 4-track cassette recorder. We had drums, 2 guitars (1 with an octave pedal to simulate a bass), a harmonica running through an amp and a few songs had vocals. It was in a rather large bedroom, but turned out pretty good considering how primitive it was. Anyway, placement is the key. Watch some traditional bluegrass being played around 1 mic, they move closer when soloing to become louder. Put the drums on one side and start with 1 mic at a distance of a few feet pointed at the kick a foot or so off the ground. Take your amps and place them in another corner and place the other mic a few feet away splitting the difference between the amps. Or, take a wall and put each amp in a corner and the drums in between and place the mics on the opposite wall and see. There are no rules, with these suggestions as guide lines, I say move the mics and instruments around, until you get a good recorded sound. What you hear live vs. what you hear recorded are 2 different things, you might barely hear the guitar while playing in the room, but when recorded it might jump out. Hope this helps out.

Thank you I will look into that. It sounds like it will work but I will keep on with the trial and error. I appreciate it greatly.

Any particular reason you're using a digital delay as a recording device? 'For kicks' / 'to try and get a 1940s production feel' are quite reasonable answers.

However, if it's a "my first recorder" situation, I can't help but think that a portastudio (cassette or digital) would give you more flexibility.

It's a loop station pedal. And I wanted something simple to opporate and I'm just trying to get a low budget solid recording of the band and it has USB accesability I can put some tracks on here or send whoever some.

ALSO

I have a boss G7 equalizer I'm tryin to tweek for the mic by the snare

Yes, As JP said...the pedal you are using is not analog at all.
But if this is what you are limited to,...since it has two inputs and two outputs along with usb out, I would try to borrow a mixer from a friend (preferably at least 8-10 channels) and hook it up to the RC-3.
IMHO, I think you would benefit much more from getting yourself a second hand portastudio and then run your tapes into a computer interface for tranfer to mp3 or wav. (I've achieved stellar results in the past by doing this)
But like I said, if that's all you have to work with...then I would get a mixer and hook it up to the RC-3 so you at least have some more channels to work with.

Here's a song I made with a 424mkII and then transferred to a PC for mp3...
Some tend to call my style "dubstep"..but to tell you the truth, I don't even listen to dubstep music. I call this soundscape/concrete music.
I guess the similarities come from the wicked distorted analog bass sounds I use.
It's all electronic with no acoustic instruments used. I got into this style of music years ago from wanting to make background music for movies, or commercials.
Never happened. So I just kinda make it for myself. I'm my own worst critic, so I almost never post any music I make.
This track was made with a couple analog synths (Roland SH-7, Korg MS-20, as well as a few tape echos) and a digital synth & drum machine (Access Virus C, and Alesis digital drum/performance pad)...but the tracking was 100% analog.

Attachments

• KATCHING A RIDE ON AN ASTEROID.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
Back