Analog or Digital Mixer?

BrianW

Hello everyone,
I've been a long time reader but this is my first post so be gentle. :cool: I already own a computer based digital setup but i just started an analog one because i prefer the natural sound it has (and why not have both?). I have a Fostex e-16 for tracking and a Fostex e-2 for a mixdown deck. my question is this... which would be a better, analog or digital mixer? I love the natural dynamic tape has but I do not care much for tape saturation. My first thought was a digital one of course to use for both setups, but I have a feeling that the sound I want is only going to be attainable with an analog mixer with analog pre's. What mixers are you guys using? I'm thinking an old vintage console with the wood sides and the vu meters will get that vintage (late 70's/early 80's) dynamic natural sound but I also want the least noise possible of course. I would also like it to be able to get pretty hot without breaking up too much. Any ideas? Thanks! :) Brian

I would go with an analog mixer. You already have digital mixing capabilities in your computer setup, a digital mixer would just be redundant.

There is no such thing as a digital mic preamp, a digital console has analog mic pre's and a A/D converter built in.

Why would you want to push the preamps pretty hot without breaking up if you don't like tape saturation. (it is completely useless with digital recording)?

Analog.

If you put a digital signal path between your sound source and tape deck, you defeat the purpose of analog tape for tracking.

Tascam, Fostex, Soundcraft, Mackie, Studiomaster are a few to look at that won't cost you as much as a car. You want something with enough tape inputs for your E-16. These might be labeled Tape In, or just line inputs that can be switched to bypass the initial Trim and Pad stage.

Fostex 450/16
Tascam M-520
Tascam M-320
Tascam M-224
Tascam M-1516 or 1524
Tascam M-2516 or 2524
Tascam M-2600

I use the M-200 series (208 and 216).

Lots more... I'll let others tell you their favorites, pros and cons.

Good hunting,
Tim

Thanks man!
The M-520 is the closest to what I'm looking for. I have 5 to 600 to spend so I might be able to afford something even nicer. I'm trying to get a sound close to the "Three Imaginary Boys" album by The Cure, or something else english from that era. By hot w/o breaking up I mean I'd like good signal to tape w/o noise or distortions. I'm going to be using gp-9 on both decks and I've gotten to +6 with no audible breakup. Gp-9 is heavy I know, but at the rate which I write/record, the headwear will be minimal. So there arent any boards out there that have analog pre's (no a/d) and digital capabilities? I like the d8b... I wish. :)

An M-520 just sold on eBay earlier today for a paltry $300.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7405593383

I haven't even seen an M-320 go for that low lately. In fact I sold one of my M-216s a while back for $300.00.

I was looking at it, but I just don't want anything around that big and heavy right now. I tell ya… it was hard to pass up even though I couldn’t use it.

:)

M-520

These boards are nice I paid 1000 for mine about 10 years ago. But it is hard to keep clean and even harder to find parts.

Back