analog mixer setup

Frenchc

Ok so this is definitly a dumb question, but I've always recorded using a stand alone usit and just edited on my computer. I'm thinking about going the way of getting an analog mixer so i can mix using it and other outboard goodies. I'd like to have like 16-24 tracks (maybe like a mackie.....but thats besides the point). I was just wondering what is the best way to get the A/D conversion? Particularly 16 of them in a somewhat cheap way, I mean I know its not going to be dirt cheap but any ideas for a somewhat cheap way to do this. Thanks,

Chris

You could check out the MOTU 24 i/o. Someone else will probably chime in with another good suggestion pretty soon, too.

:)

Frenchc said:
Ok so this is definitly a dumb question, but I've always recorded using a stand alone usit and just edited on my computer. I'm thinking about going the way of getting an analog mixer so i can mix using it and other outboard goodies. I'd like to have like 16-24 tracks (maybe like a mackie.....but thats besides the point). I was just wondering what is the best way to get the A/D conversion? Particularly 16 of them in a somewhat cheap way, I mean I know its not going to be dirt cheap but any ideas for a somewhat cheap way to do this. Thanks,

Chris

use a hard disk recorder connecting from your analog mixer to record. Then depending on what H.disk recorder you buy, if it has a cd burner, burn to cd from there, if not, then dump onto a computer and burn to cd. .. . .

I have mine setup as mackie 24*8 (8 bus) going into the hard disk recorder (with cd burner) then burn to cd. I group all my instruments up using the 8 busses and send them to the H.disk rec. If mackie is too pricey for you, Behringer mx9000 is alot more cheaper. I have both mixers hooked up to the recorder this way . . .

or if your mixer has an alt bus switch, connect that ooutput to your sound card 's input channel on the computer and engage the alt switch on all input channels on the mixing board that you will be recording. This way you don't need to buy a separate hard disk recorder if your computer is fast enough to record audio.

If you don't already have an analog mixer I'd probably advise against this route. It's expensive for a start then there's maintanence....I've got about $1000's worth of cables...yeah cables hooking everything up. Plus when you start recording multiple tracks and try to stream back 16-24 to an outboard mixer you better have plenty of computer power...then you need to know, like really know the ins n outs of your computer and tweak it up just for audio. I know a few manage to record on their PCs and use it for internet, DTP and everything else but if you're serious about it you're gonna want it as stable as possible which means no programs running in the background, no network no antivirus no nothing.

It's been said on here many times that todays software is every bit capable of MITB as a good analog board, and I'm not talking soundcraft, mackie, A&H. I'm talking big time production consoles. Software has come a long way in the last couple of years.

If I wasn't so retarded I'd probably give up the whole analog front end and outboard effects thing and start using my cubase SX as more than a digitar recorder....but I like the way things work outboard. The only reason I got into this setup is because I had all the analog front end before I got into computer recording so it made sense to just get some decent convertors to get my music in there where I could precision edit it then send it back out to the board.

Back