analog mix mastered to cd?

bass331964

I do all of my recording analog with a tascam eight track is it worth it to me to mix the masters to a cd burner provided I had good sound card (if so any suggestions on sound cards?)
In other words do I gain any better sound quality by mixing the master to my computer?

I dont know that Id totally agree...it depends on what you are mixing down to currently......

I was assuming that b331964 was trying to get a "better" sound just from transferring his/her 8 track Tascam master to CD.

It wouldn't make the transference better unless b331964 but something in between the Tascam and the CD recording device. Or record it to CD, then send it back out to another recording device to "warm up" the sound of the master.

I would definitely suggest that you BACK-UP those 8 track masters to CD. :)

spin

In your case the best results would be obtained by going 2 channel out into a high quality A/D converter, and from the Digital out of the converter into a stand alone CD burner.

Sorry Spin, I didnt mean to sound like the mixdown will sound better just by going to CD.....If hes currently mixing down from the Tascam to a boombox, he will get better results mixing down to computer/CD.....once the stereo mix is on the comuter lots of neat mastering things can be done to it to fix it up....

That was interesting people, yes I'm currently mixing down eight tracks from my tascam to a two track kenwood so from what i understand with a a/d converter and some software I can get a better two track mix from my eight track analog masters but if I just went straight into the cpu it would not really be much of an improvement.
If I'm misunderstanding please correct me...

There is a difference between soundcards and stand-alone pro CD burners. If I were you I'd see if you can find a small local studio somewhere near you which has a stand alone CD burner, and, if hopefully, a good AD converter like a Lucid or Apogee.
Direct into something like an Alesis masterlink would also give you pretty decent results.
Unless you have a high-end soundcard, leave the computer option alone.

Since I don't have a high end sound card I will leave that be for now I do plan on going digital soon Thanks for the advice all...

I have a fostex r-8 taperecorder
Mixer is alesis -24 studio.

After mix I go directly to a Pioneer CDR-555RW
(stand alone burner for audio CD´s. )

Better results than my buddys that uses computer CD burners.
( much warmer sound).

regards
Lars.

Prime example of what I was trying to explain. The Pioneer, being a stand-alone device disigned for the purpose, has slightly better converters, slightly less jitter, and an infinately better power supply than those found on sound cards. This will express itself in a fuller, smoother sound.

sjoko2 said:
There is a difference between soundcards and stand-alone pro CD burners. If I were you I'd see if you can find a small local studio somewhere near you which has a stand alone CD burner, and, if hopefully, a good AD converter like a Lucid or Apogee.
Direct into something like an Alesis masterlink would also give you pretty decent results.
Unless you have a high-end soundcard, leave the computer option alone.

When using external convertors, it doesn't really matter what you write your CD with.

Or does it? Sjoko? :confused:

I didn't phrase that very well did I?

Of cause what I ment is - going through a soundcard is better avoided if you can avoid it, as in this case you'd go through a conversion in the soundcard, which is, by its nature, not very good.

If you would use a good external converter and go in digital, you'll have a very audible advantage.

hey Roel? Do you ever go and visit those dear people in Eindhoven that work on pro audio gear development?

You mean the guys next to my bosses office?? They do pro audio?? No way!!

Other company then?

Well, I guess, IF they did, it wouldn't be all that anyway. I get remembered everytime I switch on that cheap stereo at home. *sigh*

Actually, the implementation of those cheesy surround, extreme bass and other audio enhancement algorythms is done in the same building as I work in. The research for the algorythms is done in Eindhoven. That's not what you mean when you say pro audio, I hope?? :D

I ment the pro audio research, not the "how-can-we-make-it-as-cheap-as-poss" one :)
Damn I gotta get off this thing and work!

I ment the pro audio research, not the "how-can-we-make-it-as-cheap-as-poss" one :)
Damn I gotta get off this thing and work!

They used to make really cool stuff. I've still got 2 sets of motional feedback monitors which are really cool!

Damn... So we DO interesting stuff?? Hmmm...

We also have a acoustical departement over here... Placing the speakers in TV-sets etc. Maybe I'll try that once too. Seems interesting. And it's not alot of HARD work, if you know what I'm saying... :D

Back