Analog miving dilemma

Steve West

I have worked with analog for most my life and have gone to ADAT on some projects. I also love my vintage outboard gear and analog hands on mixer.
However, more and more I am asked if I have pro Tools. Clients want to cut and paste parts, be able to do automated mixes and "snap shot" to dial up settings at a later date. What would be the best set up for me? Is there a program where I can just move my tracks into the PC for cut and paste and volume level storage only? Then move the tracks back through my mixer for my out board effects to mastering machine? Could I use Sonar 5 or is there another program that would be more user friendly for my purposes?

Thanks,
Steve

I'm looking at the RME or Dakota to get the optic in and out. Do they make a box that would allow me to patch in rack effects so I wouldn't have to go through my hard mixer?

Alesis has the iO/26 with 16 channels of ADAT if you just want to get lightpipe in and out, I wouldn't use the AD or DA converters on it though.

Also HOSA makes a litepipe patch bay that you could use in between that setup to get signals to some outboard gear.

But sounds like you be better off with a good sampler and an analog mixing board with automation.
That is use the sampler to do your cut and paste, use the analog mixng board with automation to get your snapshot sessions.

If you can't afford an analog automated board, consider tracking at your studio, and then mix down in a different studio.

I've seen kids mix down and edit with a mouse and I've done it that way too, but to me it doesn't save any time doing it that way. To me its faster to use a sampler to cut and paste, because I'm hitting a button in real time with the music,

as opposed to dragging a sound clip, listening to it to make sure it is right, moving again until it is right, that just kills me.

Back