analog mastering options

cbsc

Hey folks,

I have been recording in digital and now want to master on tape. As a home recorder, I was thinking of getting a 2 channel Teac 1/4" reel to reel, but then I found this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=246533

Member ksounds made some great recordings on Cassette tape and I'm now wondering if all I need is a 4track to make quality recordings/masterings. What route have you taken and where would you recommend a beginner to start???

Thanks, cbsc

I plan on mixing everything with a DAW down to a stereo track and then sending that to tape with reverb, EQ, and Compression.

You are just mixing down to tape then.

Mastering is preparing the master CD for replication. Adding track markers and such, there's no way to do it to tape.

You are just mixing down to tape then.

Mastering is preparing the master CD for replication. Adding track markers and such, there's no way to do it to tape.

Thank you for the clarification...by mastering I just meant introducing analog warmth, reverb, EQ, and compression to the recording which is what my instructor taught (but it was only an "intro to recording" class).

Thank you for the clarification...by mastering I just meant introducing analog warmth, reverb, EQ, and compression to the recording which is what my instructor taught (but it was only an "intro to recording" class).
I'm suprised that someone teaching an intro to recording course would advocate adding reverb across an entire mix.

Here are the things that you have to watch out for: Good analog equipment is very expensive. EQ's and compressors are not all created equally. You get much more bang-for-the-buck in the box that you do outside the box.

If you run your mix through a $200 EQ and a $150 compressor, you will be doing more harm than good. That is why the compressors and EQ's that are used for mastering cost thousands of dollars.

The whole "analog = warm, digital = cold" thing is a myth in this day and age. It got started back in the 80's when digital conversion sucked even on the most expensive things. It's just not true anymore.

Cheap audio sounds "cold", expensive audio sound sounds "warm".

If you want the sound of tape, just get a tape machine - learn how to calibrate it - keep it maintained - get some tape - play the mix onto the tape.

Then play the tape back into the computer and make a CD.

Back