Analog input to Disk or CD

ddunahoo

What software can I use to record an analog signal then burn the tracks to a CD?

I want to record an hour program from a satellite music channel onto a CD. I have the signal so it plays through the computers monitor speakers and it sounds great. I just can not figure out how to record to hard disk or CD.

Thanks,

Download a demo version of n-track from fasoft.com. Setup N-track so it records your line-in, preferrably to one stereo .wav rather than two mono (the manual tells you how) and voila - it's on your hard drive.

Then convert the recorded files to 16 bit/44.1kHz format, if it sin't already, and burn it to CD using your regular burn tool. Make sure that you select "Make audio CD" or similar when recording to CD.

Simple as that

Ola

Thanks for the help. I actually got a demo version of audiograbber and recorded, like you said to disk, then burned to CD. Easy. I have one concern. The recording is a .wav file and it grows at the rate of about 10 Megabytes per minute of recorded time. I guess this is typical, but, I wondered if a different format would be more manageable. Is .wav the way to go, or should I try .mp3 or something else?

Thanks,

Daryl

If you're talking about audio CDs, WAVs they must be. If you compress them to MP3s you lose some data. There are applications that will open MP3s and other files and stream them as WAV data to the audio CD-R but they obviously cannot put back what was lost in saving them to compressed formats in the first place.

Since the tape is a seminar recording (very poor quality to begin with) I do not think I could discern the loss of quality. How much difference in size is there between MP3 & .wav?

just a note...

don't know if you just want to archive the file on cd or make a 'playable' cd with it - just in case the latter - in order to play that CD in a 'normal' CDplayer the file HAS to be in .wav format

MP3s on CD will only play in one of those 'specialized' MP3 players...

Back