analog>digital???

libra276

So my boyfriend wants to start recording his guitar playing and vocals. I would like to get him a 4 track player and had some questions.
Are the tracks recorded seperately? How are they played together? (I know this is so basic, im sorry)

I also know that he'll want to be able to burn CDs from his computer, as well as mix from the computer. Can I get him a mixing program like Acid Pro (clue me in on a good program too!!) and a cable to connect from the stereo output to the audio input on the computer? I'd rather do analog instead of digital, for the sound quality, but maybe digital would be the way to go. Can someone clue me in so I don't end up spending money on stuff that isn't compatible with the computer?

Thanks so much for your help! I'm clueless at this point.

Most multitrackers will allow you to record more than one track simultaneously . . . but he also has the option of doing one at a time.

If he's just starting out with this sort of thing, then I would have a look at a portable multitrack recorder. Those make good "training wheels," so to speak, for a beginning recordist.

Roland makes good ones . . . I'd have a look at the Roland VS series.

You could get hime a nice sound card, like a M-Audio Audiophile for $150 or a Delta 44 for $199. The audiophile will record 2 tracks simultaneously, the delta 44 will record 4.

For multitracking software have a look at cakewalk.com - you could maye get him Home Studio or Guitar Tracks Pro for reasonable money. These programs support multitrack recording and will work well with one of the M-Audio cards

Libra,

I think the jury is still out, moreless, on USB audio interfaces. They still seem to create more problems than what they're worth. You might want to stick with a PCI-based card for now.

I still think computer recording is a lot more hassle than it's worth for a beginner. Although it does create a decent market for me. I've actually started giving lessons to people on how to get their computers set up for recording. We're talking actual paid lessons. :D That kind of market just doesn't exist with the portable multitrackers (which are no-brainers by comparison).

I've settled on the 4-track. I figure he can have fun with it to begin with, and he has the money to spend (which I dont) to invest in decent digital gear.

a lot of people are still starting on the classic tascam 414s. they're like the standard in basic cassette multitracking. then you can move on. good learning tools

Back